Water Supply in the Provinces

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

We are having problems with our pressure tank. First, the pipe going to the water pump leaked flooded the floor. Got that fixed now the pressure seems high 50 psi, on the label of the tank it says 20 psi. Is the Bladder tank the some as a pressure tank?

Had the water system for 6 years.

I believe so - it inflates and deflates like a human bladder 

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Is the Bladder tank the some as a pressure tank?

Yes, they both have an adjustable pressure switch.  The main difference is that the bladder tank can supply more volume between motor pump runs given the same physical size tank.  Therefore, the bladder tank can be much smaller in physical size.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Yes, they both have an adjustable pressure switch.  The main difference is that the bladder tank can supply more volume between motor pump runs given the same physical size tank.  Therefore, the bladder tank can be much smaller in physical size.

I think the pressure switch is faulty, The pump keeps running and not cutting off when reached the correct psi!.

I'l try and get the guy who installed it to have a look.

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted

sounds like an easy fix... if the pipe broke and allowed the tank to empty you possibly lost the initial air pressure needed  to set it up.  they may just have to pump some air in, refill it with water, check the pressure switches are set right, and I'm betting your good to go. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jimeve said:

I think the pressure switch is faulty, The pump keeps running and not cutting off when reached the correct psi!.

Pressure switches often fail, but they are usually not expensive or difficult to replace. I suggest you find the best you can so that it may last longer?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 1/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, jimeve said:

My pump was doing the same, not cutting off.  When I rapped the side of the pressure switch with the handle of a screwdriver it stopped.  That told me the points inside were starting to stick so I replaced the switch.   Over time most switches will fail as the arc of electricity will corrode the points over time.  

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

My pump was doing the same, not cutting off.  When I rapped the side of the pressure switch with the handle of a screwdriver it stopped.  That told me the points inside were starting to stick so I replaced the switch.   Over time most switches will fail as the arc of electricity will corrode the points over time.  

Shouldn't there be a pressure relief valve on these units also with a discharge pipe to the outside

A failsafe to prevent damage through overpressured action

• Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Unbelievable, Having just read your post I went and taped the switch and low and behold the pump stopped. He he.

Now, waiting if the pump will start when the psi drops. Are they easy to replace? And how do you set it for the correct psi?

@Mike J I owe you a cold one.

Cheers.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Now, waiting if the pump will start when the psi drops. Are they easy to replace? And how do you set it for the correct psi?

Hi Jim...

Pressure switches are usually or always pre-set for pressure. The are also usually just a screw-out, screw-in replacement...

They only last for a few years before requiring replacement...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Thanks 1