DEBIT CARDS

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Same goes for any credit cards you may want to bring along.  Best to have them renewed so you don't need to have new ones mailed.  I have one that expired and new one was issued to my mail box.  Had it forwarded to my son who gave me the new exp date and CVV on the back.  Used a sharpie to write it on my old card.  I only use it for a mail order in the states once a year to keep it active.  I'll get the replacements next time we visit the states next ???

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

And on the subject of credit cards you might want to check how any overseas cards are being sent to you.

HSBC in Manila recommends that you have all new cards sent direct to HSBC Manila by courier.. to whichever branch you use.

Just went through a long and convoluted saga to get HSBC HK to send my new cards to me to HSBC Makati by courier. Took a few calls and many long waits to get in contact with HSBC HK ( lines are busy etc etc ) to get them to send to my HSBC Manila branch,  me by courier. As currently , I believe there are delays on international post of over one and two months.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

As currently , I believe there are delays on international post of over one and two months.

Before Covid-19, mail from the UK took 6-8 weeks anyway to my place.  I got my 1st piece of mail from the UK this week actually.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

Same goes for any credit cards you may want to bring along.  Best to have them renewed so you don't need to have new ones mailed.  I have one that expired and new one was issued to my mail box.  Had it forwarded to my son who gave me the new exp date and CVV on the back.  Used a sharpie to write it on my old card.  I only use it for a mail order in the states once a year to keep it active.  I'll get the replacements next time we visit the states next ???

This wouldn't work for me -  my internet banking needs me to insert the card into a card reader to get a code before doing any online banking.  

• Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Before Covid-19, mail from the UK took 6-8 weeks anyway to my place.  I got my 1st piece of mail from the UK this week actually.

Same here, from the State pension dated September 2019. Also some mail for my Life certificate (proof that I'm still alive) Dated December 2019.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

This wouldn't work for me -  my internet banking needs me to insert the card into a card reader to get a code before doing any online banking.  

What bank would that be?  Sounds strange to have to do that as whats internet banking for. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Yeochief said:

Recommend if your moving to the Philippines to go to your bank and get a new debit card, this should give you a longer expiration date on your card.  We did that and it gave me an extra 16 months on the expiration date. 

Thanks for the reminder! 

The young lady at the bank (NFCU) did not want to do it (extra work), but after a long debate we got our new cards.   

Should have asked for a pair of scissors. A few years ago I did the same and was also given a hard time. I asked her for a pair of scissors and with a dumbfounded look on her face she gave me a pair. You can guess what I did next - yup, cut the card in half, lol. She punched a few keys on her computer and a week later I had a new card.

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

At NFCU they do the cards at the branch  and you get the new card within a few minutes, modern technology at it best.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What bank would that be?  Sounds strange to have to do that as whats internet banking for. 

Nationwide in the UK.