no more balikbayan

gbmmbg
Posted
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gbmmbg said:

looks like i need to get my long term visa now.

Yes same info posted in a few topics but getting it now might also be a problem if you are out of the country and wish to return any time soon.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

looks like i need to get my long term visa now.

The way i read it is that instead of getting your BB visa automatically at the airport, a spouse and non citizen Filipino will need to go to the hassle of going to the Filipino consulate before leaving. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

The way i read it is that instead of getting your BB visa automatically at the airport, a spouse and non citizen Filipino will need to go to the hassle of going to the Filipino consulate before leaving. 

Can you even get a visa prior to coming to the Philippines?  Below is a screen shot of from the the Philippine embassy San Francisco.  I took the screen shot this morning.

image.png

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

The problem is the  the one year balikbayan "Visa" is not a visa. It was just a good deal you can only get at the airport when you arrive with your spouse. hopefully this will go back to the old system one day.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Can you even get a visa prior to coming to the Philippines? 

I think it depends upon the embassy or consulate (ie no blanket rule).

eg the consulate in Melbourne is closed (due to the stage 4 lockdown) but the embassy in Sydney is open and is issuing passports and visas where as the consulates in South Australia and Western Australia are also open but the 'mobile passport missions' are temporarily stopped due to state border closures and services are limited there.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Can you even get a visa prior to coming to the Philippines? 

I have no idea,,,,but if someone really needs to get home, its worth a shot :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I think it depends upon the embassy or consulate (ie no blanket rule).

eg the consulate in Melbourne is closed (due to the stage 4 lockdown) but the embassy in Sydney is open and is issuing passports and visas where as the consulates in South Australia and Western Australia are also open but the 'mobile passport missions' are temporarily stopped due to state border closures and services are limited there.

I have read that no embassy will be issuing 9a visas......if this is still the situation one must wonder and sympathize with expats here with commitments approaching the 3 year term. 

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RBM said:

I have read that no embassy will be issuing 9a visas......if this is still the situation one must wonder and sympathize with expats here with commitments approaching the 3 year term. 

I did not specifically check the 9a visa, just read the advice that 'visas' were still being issued.

And I believe you are correct in what you say about expats approaching the 3 year term :sad:

Edited by GeoffH

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Can you even get a visa prior to coming to the Philippines?  Below is a screen shot of from the the Philippine embassy San Francisco.  I took the screen shot this morning.

image.png

What is it on that screenshot that would make you think visas are not being issued?  Tourist visas are not being issued random applicants but if you are married to a Filipino, they will give you a visa.  Not sure which it is.  Maybe still tourist?? Or some new from of Balikbayan privilege? 

• Like 2