no more balikbayan

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jack D said:

So now, he's finally found a non-political way to do so: COVID-19

The current rules are not just for Americans so not sure why you think its just about Americans. The rules cover any country. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2020 at 10:20 AM, Eddie1 said:

The cost of submitting and processing this form costs 25,000 peso with no guarantee whatsoever of any extension being granted, ouch!

I would not bother. Just over stay.  Fines if they do fine you are 500 peso a month. Then motion for reconsider I think is only about P1000 plus whatever is needed to bring you up to date on your visa IE, unpaid months.

No idea where the 25k fee came from ?

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I would not bother. Just over stay.  Fines if they do fine you are 500 peso a month. Then motion for reconsider I think is only about P1000 plus whatever is needed to bring you up to date on your visa IE, unpaid months.

No idea where the 25k fee came from ?

Hi JGF,  First heard about the 25,000 peso fee a couple of weeks ago on a Youtube blog when a local blogger was interviewing a Dumaguete Attorney, the Attorney mentioned about the Motion Of Reconsideration Form and the fee of 25k.   Following that I went into the BI here in Duma last week to check it out and got quoted the same fee for the same form from the head honcho in there.   Also, on a FB post I was chatting with a guy from Surigao  who had received the same info and the same 25k price from the BI there.

If it was only 1,000 peso before maybe someone in the Bureau of Immigration noticed a good way to increase revenue? Lol.       

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Hi JGF,  First heard about the 25,000 peso fee a couple of weeks ago on a Youtube blog when a local blogger was interviewing a Dumaguete Attorney, the Attorney mentioned about the Motion Of Reconsideration Form and the fee of 25k.   Following that I went into the BI here in Duma last week to check it out and got quoted the same fee for the same form from the head honcho in there.   Also, on a FB post I was chatting with a guy from Surigao  who had received the same info and the same 25k price from the BI there.

If it was only 1,000 peso before maybe someone in the Bureau of Immigration noticed a good way to increase revenue? Lol.       

Maybe because you're supposed to go on the blacklist if you stay over the 3 years. 25k was the 'motion for reconsider' fee when I got removed from the blacklist, plus a non optional 5k express fee.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/12/2020 at 7:50 AM, Jack D said:

Using COVID-19 as a reason for changing visa rules makes the changes seem to be purely medically motivated and not at all motivated by his political views.

Brits, Aussies, Canadians and all other foreigners can be considered to be collateral damage in this case.

I dont agree but everyone is entitled to their opinions. Many countries have changed their rules or stopped entry to foreigners so why should the Philippines be any different? Try going to Thailand at the moment. 

It's about stopping the spread or incoming virus. If it was politically motivated the cost of collateral damage is huge for the Philippines economy.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If it was politically motivated the cost of collateral damage is huge for the Philippines economy.

If we remember that the BB visa is really not meant for "foreigners" but for Filipinos who live overseas and have not got their dual citizenship for what ever reason. 

For example we have a lot of cousins who live in the states, their children and grandkids are all in the US. They get full benefits being US citizens. They have property here and spend 3-6 months at a time here, spending dollars here in the PI. 

Those of us that are married to Filipinas just sort of slip through the cracks and take advantage of the system :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It's about stopping the spread or incoming virus.

True!... but now DU30 can change his immigration policies just because everyone else is doing it, without making it a political statement. 

12 hours ago, scott h said:

Those of us that are married to Filipinas just sort of slip through the cracks and take advantage of the system :thumbsup:

I'm guilty of doing that :smile:

But the Philippine economy did very well with my recent visit, as well as the visits of other foreigners who have Filipina wives, since they charged 5000 PHP per person for COVID-19 tests, and they quarantined us for 2 days at 'government-approved' hotels.

Plus, we had to order all of our dinners as deliveries, since after the quarantine, we were curfewed at 8 PM.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, scott h said:

If we remember that the BB visa is really not meant for "foreigners" but for Filipinos who live overseas and have not got their dual citizenship for what ever reason. 

BB visa? No such thing. :smile:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, jimeve said:

BB visa? No such thing

Abbreviation for Balikbayan one year visa free balikbayan stay

https://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/the-philippines-2/travel-to-the-philippines/