IP ADDRESS

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

I went to get on Thrift Savings Plan (TSP.gov) website and it shows my IP address has changed and will not allow access.  This is the only site that I'm having trouble using.  Any suggestions? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You may need to use a VPN to make it appear your IP is in the U.S.  I use Express VPN.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I suspect OnMyWay is correct, a lot of websites use location information and won't work (or block access) if they think you're overseas.

That started as a way of stopping scammers but these days it's just annoying because it's so easy to make it look like you're in another country when you aren't

A VPN as suggested would be my recommendation too, Express VPN is the best one I've tried (but they're also priced near the top of the market).  If you want something cheaper than that then maybe SurfShark or Nord. 

Edited by GeoffH

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Yeochief said:

I went to get on Thrift Savings Plan (TSP.gov) website and it shows my IP address has changed and will not allow access.  This is the only site that I'm having trouble using.  Any suggestions? 

I just looked at the TSP website as I did not know what it is.  This is basically investment banking and that is the banking that has the most issues with clients living overseas, due to U.S. regulations.  I know that the ownership of U.S. mutual funds is the main area of contention, due to the regulations.

You probably need to make sure you are using a U.S. address for TSP, and use a VPN for online access.

I had similar issues with Fidelity but as long as I use a U.S. address and VPN, they don't really care.  If I don't use a VPN, I have to agree to the "International Usage Terms" and if I did that over and over, I'm sure they would question it.

I'm in the process of signing up for Schwab International Investments.  They allow full access to most investments EXCEPT the U.S. domestic funds.  You can buy U.S. stocks, ETFs, and GLOBAL mutual funds.

• Like 3

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm in the process of signing up for Schwab International Investments.  They allow full access to most investments EXCEPT the U.S. domestic funds.  You can buy U.S. stocks, ETFs, and GLOBAL mutual funds.

Can you get a Schwab checking account with ATM card?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Shady said:

Can you get a Schwab checking account with ATM card?

Yes!  See lower left side of the link.  They refund ALL fees on the ATM withdrawals.

I haven't actually applied yet because I am going to make this a joint account with my wife, and I have to get her named changed on her ITIN first.  That is in process.

https://international.schwab.com/expatriate-essentials

• Thanks 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

I got Express/VPN downloaded and restarted my computer, still no luck at getting login.  I will figure out something.  I asked one of my former co-workers to send me the form I need.  Then hopefully when I have my VA appointment on 17 September they will allow me to fax the form.  Thanks for all of your help and education on this subject.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

I got Express/VPN downloaded and restarted my computer, still no luck at getting login. 

That is strange.  Maybe one of us can help.  Are you getting an error or???

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

I got Express/VPN downloaded and restarted my computer, still no luck at getting login.

Did you choose country?

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

I did choose United States Atlanta.  This is what I get back after putting in my login information:  This account access is not currently available due to security concerns.