Philippine Gold

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Last time I checked, Philippines was the world's 6th largest producer of gold.

There's certainly some in the river near our family's farm here. 'Unofficially' panned for, and then sold on to... whoever.  :smile:

IMG_20160205_105853.jpg

Edited by graham59

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Gold and diamond mine workers in South Africa are treated similarly when coming off shift, etc. 

Oh, and most of the Brit's gold went to the United States...to pay for arms ,  ships, etc, during and shortly after WW2  :sad: (off the top of my head). 

During WW2, US submarines were ferrying ammunition to Corregidor Island before the fall of the Philippines.  On the sub's return trip to Australia, they were loaded gold and silver from the national treasury.  During one of the last trips, the sub included General Douglas McArthur and members of his family.  

My father had purchased large pieces of stones which were flat on one side and curved on the other side.  This was for use as paving material for our Pasay City home.  The stones were granite of a type not found in the Philippines.  We later learned it came from a Spanish Galleon.  It was used as ballast and replaced in Manila with gold & silver for the return trip to Spain.  The curvature on one side follow the contours of the ship's hull.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

We later learned it came from a Spanish Galleon.  It was used as ballast and replaced in Manila with gold & silver for the return trip to Spain.

Wait a minute!  So the Fiipinos made a great noise about the Liberty Bells being sent to the USA 100 years ago but they do not ask for the gold and silver to be sent back from Spain?  Reparations are in order here!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wait a minute!  So the Fiipinos made a great noise about the Liberty Bells being sent to the USA 100 years ago but they do not ask for the gold and silver to be sent back from Spain?  Reparations are in order here!

Yes! Someone should start a reclamation drive. I believe the campaign to retrieve the Balangiga bells was organized by the Catholic Church.  If you visit the churches and cathedrals in Spain, the altars are packed with silver and gold looted from their colonies, including Mexico and the Philippines.  Maybe the Philippine Catholic Church should take the initiative by talking to their Spanish counterparts.