" 'Leapin' Lizards !', Daddies Warbucks "

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

My wife said she doesn't like the Tuko lizards either since their so noisy...

I haven't seen one before only the smaller geckos but if I saw one eating a big cockroach I'd definitely cheer it on.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We had a live in Tuko for several years that we named Gary, a handsome devil.  Unfortunately I found him on the lanai several weeks ago with some suspicious looking puncture wounds that I think would match up with one of our cats.  :sad:

Love the outfit.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Only speculation, but I'll bet they eat anything they can fit in their mouth, geckos included!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

There's one hanging out at the home build... He - or she - welcomes me with a loud "F**k You!" Or even growls sometimes... Okay with me so long as I don't get bit...

• Haha 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

There's one hanging out at the home build... He - or she - welcomes me with a loud "F**k You!" Or even growls sometimes... Okay with me so long as I don't get bit...

I found myself laughing when I read that.

Then the thought occurred to me that people often perceive what they expect to hear or see........ and I laughed again.

Then again.... maybe yours is a genetic prodigy who learned to parrot the workmen and expects you to 'make trouble' for him when you move in.

Sorry, Tommy, but the set-up was too hard to by-pass  Your bit was truly funny.

When our captive was finally released,  it  was reported that he proclaimed "Too Cool !... Too Cool ! ".

I would have liked to kept Mr. Tuko around the place for large insect control, but the wife wouldn't have it. The women have a lot of unwarranted opinions on the creatures.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

Sorry, Tommy, but the set-up was too hard to by-pass  Your bit was truly funny.

No need for sorry, Man... I know we all attribute human expressions, moods and appearances to insects and animals.

When I first mentioned my thought about what tuko was "saying," L and the foreman and any other workers burst out laughing...

The best part was when he made his f*** you sound and then I laughed and commented on that and then he made a growling sound... similar to a dog who's a bit pissed... It was really perfect!

So long as he doesn't venture inside or bite us, he is welcome to stay.

So... during every visit to the homesite, I ask about Tuko if I don't hear him... He is a buddy now...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I would have liked to kept Mr. Tuko around the place for large insect control, but the wife wouldn't have it. The women have a lot of unwarranted opinions on the creatures.

Apparently they have a nasty bite and once they latch on, they don't let go... At least that's what L told me...

Another guy I know told me to just stay away from them because they have nasty bites... But, hell, what do I know???

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Apparently they have a nasty bite and once they latch on, they don't let go... At least that's what L told me...

Another guy I know told me to just stay away from them because they have nasty bites... But, hell, what do I know???

Correct. Their large triangular head has very powerful muscles and they can break your skin.... so I've read. Their maws also contain a lot of bacteria.  Its suggested that you use gloves and hold them behind the head when handling.  Reputed to be bad tempered as well.

There are zoological pet vids on the tube re them and other reptiles for those interested.

Also, now a protected species here in the PI.  A decade ago they were heavily hunted because the Chinese traditional folk medicine businesses were ascribing 'magical'  properties to their biology, like they do to so many other now endangered species.  False, of course.

The ones legally  bred for pets and hand raised are reputed not to be as short tempered as the wild ones.

Before bringing in the ""Spinderman" nephew, (as my wife now calls him), to snatch him off the overhead rafter the other night, I tried for 2 months to drive him away.  Lots of the proffered  suggestions on-line were ineffectual.  I placed a lot of garlic cloves halves on barbecue sticks around, but that didn't bother him a bit.  Same for the egg shell halves, that was supposedly to scare him into thinking that snakes were hatching out and around to get him. Red pepper and onions.... I didn't even bother with.

Beating the walls and areas whee he liked to hide and sing, drove him away for only 30 min. Then his little head would pop up for an all-clear now look...... and he'd carry on.

He's crepuscular, i.e., mainly active during twilight.  But ours had a great work ethic and didn't quit till 2 am at times.  He usually gave 4 or 6 repetitive calls, the last dropping in tone before ending.

The wife also put up 'sticky sheets' on the sheltered wall where he liked to hang out in the daytime, but he avoided them.... unlike the smaller geckos.

I don't  believe they are a safety threat to anyone, as long as you don't corner them so they can't run away..... which he always did.

• Like 2