F"ing PayPal

RobH
Posted
Posted

I don't know if this applies to all expats or just the Europeans. I use papal a few times a year just to buy the odd secondhand bit of radio stuff or to buy from Ebay. This used to work just fine, I have a UK bank account ,and use my daughters cellphone number if they need to contact me she sends anything like this via messenger.

Now paypal are insisting on a 2 factor security system, where they send you a code number by sms, that's ok my bank does the same. but the killer is that they won't accept a phone number thats not in the country you are registered in so no Philipine phone number.

I messaged pay pal they told me I could use Philippine paypal, but you need a Philippine bank to use it, there is no way I want a Phil bank and beside its so little used here, sounds like a scammers paradise. Just a heads up. I can use my  bank they send the sms here no problem. Bloody paypal,

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

I got this email from whom I thought was PayPal:  "Your PayPal account is temporarily restricted."  I went on PayPal and sent them a message asking what was the problem.  I got a reply saying my account was good and said that if PayPal does not address you by your name on file, to delete the email, its not from them.  I checked the email and it was address my email name, delete.

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted

Easy solution, just get a local number https://www.kall8.com/LocalNumbers

The real problem is when a financial institution requires a local number to call you.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

To be honest, the problem is not PayPal but that you are trying to do something outside the system i.e. using paypal Philippines but not having  a bank account here or a local phone number - probably the modus operandi of scammers.

I'm not saying you are a scammer b.t.w 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Yeochief said:

I got this email from whom I thought was PayPal:  "Your PayPal account is temporarily restricted."  I went on PayPal and sent them a message asking what was the problem.  I got a reply saying my account was good and said that if PayPal does not address you by your name on file, to delete the email, its not from them.  I checked the email and it was address my email name, delete.

Always look at the Email address it was sent from. Very easy to tell as usually nothing to do with paypal in the Email address. I just delete as soon as I see the address. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Always look at the Email address it was sent from. Very easy to tell as usually nothing to do with paypal in the Email address. I just delete as soon as I see the address. 

I got one last week which opened and closed with Italian - otherwise it looked genuine enough except the email address was iffy although it did contain paypal in it. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

except the email address was iffy although it did contain paypal in it. 

Yes but we know what paypal's email address is dont we so anything else is spam. Either way anything saying your account has been suspended or something with a link just delete and login to you account and see which it wont be suspended.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I opened a eBay and pay-pal account, never used it. 3 weeks later I got an email saying I purchased a red polka dot dress.

After reading that I closed both accounts.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

I got an email saying I purchased a red polka dot dress.

It never would have  suited you Jim, wrong Colour :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

It never would have  suited you Jim, wrong Colour :wink:

If it would have been BLUE. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1