Eye test

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Can they make lens that the left eye and right eye are different?  Example: long range, right eye good, left eye bad....

Yes Jim I have them

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Can they make lens that the left eye and right eye are different?  Example: long range, right eye good, left eye bad....

Glasses are almost always made with differing prescriptions for each eye, however I think you're talking about using prescriptions for reading vision in one eye and driving vision in the other eye (or similar) where as normal glasses have the end aim of correcting each eye to 20/20 (or as close as practicable).

This is in fact that is done sometimes with 'lens replacement surgery' which is used for people suffering from extreme long sightedness.  It can have implications related binocular vision and estimation of distance however and I've heard of people getting glasses made this way when they have trouble adapting to multi focals.

I confess to no personal experience with this though.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Glasses are almost always made with differing prescriptions for each eye, however I think you're talking about using prescriptions for reading vision in one eye and driving vision in the other eye (or similar) where as normal glasses have the end aim of correcting each eye to 20/20 (or as close as practicable).

This is in fact that is done sometimes with 'lens replacement surgery' which is used for people suffering from extreme long sightedness.  It can have implications related binocular vision and estimation of distance however and I've heard of people getting glasses made this way when they have trouble adapting to multi focals.

I confess to no personal experience with this though.

For years, my uncorrected vision was the same in both eyes, and I am very near sighted.  Most of the time, I would wear a contact lens in my right eye that is better for distance (driving, etc.) and in my left eye I would wear one better for reading.  Not a huge difference in the reading lens, but just enough to read most average sized print without reading glasses.  Years ago, my optometrist told me this was common.  I found that for sports like tennis, putting the distance lens in both eyes was much better, so I would do that.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 8/28/2020 at 6:37 PM, OnMyWay said:

For years, my uncorrected vision was the same in both eyes, and I am very near sighted.  Most of the time, I would wear a contact lens in my right eye that is better for distance (driving, etc.) and in my left eye I would wear one better for reading.  Not a huge difference in the reading lens, but just enough to read most average sized print without reading glasses.  Years ago, my optometrist told me this was common.  I found that for sports like tennis, putting the distance lens in both eyes was much better, so I would do that.

Finally, Had my peepers checked yesterday. I asked if they had a doctor to check my eyes, yes they said. I wanted to have my eyes checked for any problems. So they only give me an eye test and their equipment was like something out of the 80's so basic.

So, well, eh, oh, speechless.

Anyways, ordered the lens with the swanky frames. First time I have had to wear glasses, so a little apprehensive.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Anyways, ordered the lens with the swanky frames. First time I have had to wear glasses, so a little apprehensive.

Get over it, Jim... not meant meanly:smile: At least you can still see at all, right?

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Get over it, Jim... not meant meanly:smile: At least you can still see at all, right?

Who said that??!!??🧐🧐

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, jimeve said:

I gave myself an eye test as one eye feels like it's got grit in.. I closed one eye to do the test....Okay, my right eye that feels gritty, when I look at the PC monitor with the right eye only I can see clearly but when I use my reading glasses it is blurred.   

It's completely opposite with my left eye.

Looking at distance with my right eye blurred but with my left eye it's good, again opposite with my left eye. 

Never had any problems with my eye sight before apart from needing reading glasses.

Not sure the Filipino optician would understand me!

Hi JMeive,

Sorry about your eye issue. Just read this now, so hope that you got it solved. As an aside, I see that you are in Dumaguete--just wanted to suggest for the future if you ever needed one, I have a great ophthalmologist that I go to.  For anyone interested from Cebu and  the nearby Visayas areas, my doctor's name is Dr. Yong Larrazabal, at Cebu Doctors' Hospital. He has an eye Clinic, Larazabal Eye, and a lasik center too. Highly recommended.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi JMeive,

Sorry about your eye issue. Just read this now, so hope that you got it solved. As an aside, I see that you are in Dumaguete--just wanted to suggest for the future if you ever needed one, I have a great ophthalmologist that I go to.  For anyone interested from Cebu and  the nearby Visayas areas, my doctor's name is Dr. Yong Larrazabal, at Cebu Doctors' Hospital. He has an eye Clinic, Larazabal Eye, and a lasik center too. Highly recommended.

Thanks queenie, noted.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Sure thing Tommy, I can see light at the end of the tunnel. :shades:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...
longway
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2020 at 9:50 PM, jimeve said:

What are progressive lens? I never have worn glasses only for reading. Like I said, now I have discovered my right eye is good for long distance but bad for reading. Opposite with my left eye.

Same for me. My left does the reading (no glasses) the right is pretty good for far vision but not perfect (no glasses). I went to the Eye Dr and had him write a script for me for driving glasses which give me 20/20 in both eyes. I love them. Also for watching TV and movies. Single vision not progressives. One pair grey tinted for daytime outside and one pair clear for nightime and TV. BTw I am in my 70's. The Eyes are sooooo important.

• Like 2