Need a cheap laptop? Good luck!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Shady said:

And your Lenovo is China-made, I should have mentioned I wasn't talking about laptops from China, but higher end laptops from Dell, Apple, Samsung, etc 

The 3 brands you mention all manufacture in China.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

you'd need to order with a US address, and then have it shipped into the Philippines. I've done this three times

Have you tried to get warranty or repairs in the Philippines on your equipment?

I couldn't get repairs done on my Australian bought Apple laptop "the number does not come up on the computer sir, we can't work on it.  you will have to take it to the shop you bought it from", which is the main reason we bought SWMBO Apple laptop at an authorised Apple dealer in CDO.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

carbpow
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I have a Lenovo and bought the extended warranty, both purchased while I was in the USA. Had an issue with the AC adaptor in the laptop. Contacted Lenovo and they directed me to a Lenovo authorized service provider in Quezon Province. Made an appointment and though the place looked sketchy they got it repaired the same day, no charge.

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, carbpow said:

Contacted Lenovo and they directed me to a Lenovo authorized service provider in Quezon Province

Apple have long been strict about the region that a device is used in, other manufacturers are often not so strict.

It is useful to know that Lenovo service is available, thanks.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Apple have long been strict about the region that a device is used in, other manufacturers are often not so strict.

It is useful to know that Lenovo service is available, thanks.

Just to add Geoff, Lenovo don't include international warranty as standard - at least that's what they told me last week and it ties in with what I've read online.  But, Carbpow said he had an extended warranty so that may include international.   

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

More than once, that's why I buy Dell besides not being made in China. I get the Dell business Next Day on-site Premium extended warranty, so the Dell PH techs came directly to my place to replace the keyboard.  All you have to do is transfer ownership address:  https://www.dell.com/support/assets-transfer/us/en/19/#/Identify

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Shady said:

More than once, that's why I buy Dell besides not being made in China. I get the Dell business Next Day on-site Premium extended warranty, so the Dell PH techs came directly to my place to replace the keyboard.  All you have to do is transfer ownership address:  https://www.dell.com/support/assets-transfer/us/en/19/#/Identify

I have a Dell bought in the U.S. in 2017.  Probably not much point in transferring it, right?

I have never had any real problems with it, but about a year ago the top left and right corners of the screen started showing what looks like an internal separation.  In this picture of the right top corner, it looks like a wavy hair on the screen, but you can't feel it.  I suppose it might eventually need repair.

118384494_2568791053370460_8282955703483037520_n.jpg

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I have a Dell bought in the U.S. in 2017.  Probably not much point in transferring it, right?

I was in a situation where my US warranty was expiring but I wanted to purchase an additional two years.

Purchasing from the US, before transferring ownership address cost more than twice the price of purchasing from the Philippines, after transferring.

So if your warranty hasn't expired, transfer, contact support to repair, and then maybe even get it extended.

Edited by Shady
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Shady said:

I was in a situation where my US warranty was expiring but I wanted to purchase an additional two years.

Purchasing from the US, before transferring ownership cost more than twice the price of purchasing from the Philippines, after transferring ownership.

So if your warranty hasn't expired, transfer, contact support to repair, and then maybe even get it extended.

It has been over 3 years.  I don't know what the warranty was.  I probably have the paperwork stashed away someplace.

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

It has been over 3 years.  I don't know what the warranty was. 

Probably expired, you can use your service tag to check: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=warranty

• Like 1