Need a cheap laptop? Good luck!

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We have a small version of that in Olongapo.  Lots of repair shops in one building.  I'm going to have my wife do a tour in there soon to ask if any can get the Dell touchscreen I need.  If they can't, I will order one from the U.S.

If your laptop has a touchscreen, it might be on the high-end/expensive side. Was it bought here in the Philippines, or does it have international warranty? If so, then contacting the Philippine Dell office is the best route forward. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

If your laptop has a touchscreen, it might be on the high-end/expensive side. Was it bought here in the Philippines, or does it have international warranty? If so, then contacting the Philippine Dell office is the best route forward. 

Bought in the U.S. and out of warranty.  I looked at the Dell Philippines website, briefly, and did not find any service centers listed.

By coincidence, I noticed yesterday that a friend has a Dell laptop, and she said they bought it at SM. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Bought in the U.S. and out of warranty.  I looked at the Dell Philippines website, briefly, and did not find any service centers listed.

By coincidence, I noticed yesterday that a friend has a Dell laptop, and she said they bought it at SM. 

Dell have a store in the tech wing of the SM in my place.  So, they must have service enters somewhere here.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Dell have a store in the tech wing of the SM in my place.  So, they must have service enters somewhere here.

Good to know!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Considering the cost of the replacement part, shipping, perhaps custom taxes, it might be worth looking for a cheap second-hand laptop.

Dell doesn't have a big offering here in the Philippines, and neither does HP...unfortunately...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Considering the cost of the replacement part, shipping, perhaps custom taxes, it might be worth looking for a cheap second-hand laptop.

Dell doesn't have a big offering here in the Philippines, and neither does HP...unfortunately...

I can't find listings for Dell service centers, but there is a Dell store at SM Clark.  I'm going to take it there and see if they can help me.

Except for the screen problem, it is the best computer I have ever had.  The 500 gb SSD makes it very quick.  Worst case, I will hook up an external monitor.

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 8/27/2020 at 6:38 PM, Jack D said:

Fortunately, everything needed to learn remotely works on the Chromebook's OS (Google Chrome).

One of these days, I'll buy myself a Mac and give my P O S Windows 10 laptop to my daughter. I'm waiting because I've read that the MacBooks will soon be getting a complete overhaul of their Hardware & Software. True or false? I don't really know but I'm a true Kuripot at heart.

Now that the schools are having actual classrooms again (instead of virtual classes) and they are collecting all of the chromebooks, I’m going to give my Dell laptop to my daughter.

I’ve already ordered a high end Dell desktop, which was reasonably priced because of Black Friday sales. Why do I need a laptop, since I do most things on my smart phone anyway whenever I’m away from home.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I can't find listings for Dell service centers, but there is a Dell store at SM Clark.  I'm going to take it there and see if they can help me.

Except for the screen problem, it is the best computer I have ever had.  The 500 gb SSD makes it very quick.  Worst case, I will hook up an external monitor.

Yes...a quick search of the Dell website actually only shows service centers in the USA, nothing anywhere else.  Perhaps the website is too UScentric or Dell don't have a big enough presence elsewhere to justify dedicated centers and instead sub-contract the work?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

instead sub-contract the work?

I'm fairly sure that must be the case, but they must have some authorized repair technicians for warranty work.

I have a Toshiba TV with HDMI that I can hook up for the monitor, but the resolution is not as good and of course, no touch screen.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm fairly sure that must be the case, but they must have some authorized repair technicians for warranty work.

I have a Toshiba TV with HDMI that I can hook up for the monitor, but the resolution is not as good and of course, no touch screen.

I'm certain they must have approved repairers as the devices are covered by warranty - it's the same for many appliances here in that repairs are carried out by approved technicians rather than in-house.