New TV

insite
Posted
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, insite said:

Probably great for advertising displays, graphic arts, etc., but I don't see much added value for regular watching of movies, etc.  That being said, we will probably all have one in 20 years!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Personally I think it's crap. Who wants to see a room background or whatever is behind the screen. Will give it a miss. :tiphat:

• Hmm thinking 1

insite
Posted
Posted

It is now not unusual to have 65" up to 90 "  screens in our lounges - the scale in very large rooms can accommodate these sizes whilst in smaller ones the TV becomes far too dominant IMO - this can alleviate this issue.

Besides the slick tech and minimalist unit will undoubtedly appeal to the design conscious - to each his own :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, insite said:

It is now not unusual to have 65" up to 90 "  screens in our lounges

Its not about the size it's about the background. Sure in the pics a nice water feature or something but who wants to watch a movie with part showing a murder in a bedroom and the surrounds in a tropical garden?  What's the point for paying for the transparent part? 

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, insite said:

It is now not unusual to have 65" up to 90 "  screens in our lounges - the scale in very large rooms can accommodate these sizes whilst in smaller ones the TV becomes far too dominant IMO - this can alleviate this issue.

Besides the slick tech and minimalist unit will undoubtedly appeal to the design conscious - to each his own :thumbsup:

Accommodating a large TV is more about seating distance from the TV.  Most people who have a 65 or even a 55 are probably sitting too close. 85 and 100 is more of a dedicated room home theater size with seats at the appropriate distance.  Of course some people will take one and put it in a small apartment!

Not sure what you mean "alleviate this issue."  You mean when it is off?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Not sure what you mean "alleviate this issue."  You mean when it is off?

I think JGF thinks it is transparent when it’s operating?

But an LCD doesn’t work that way, the picture would still have a black background in the parts that didn’t have a picture as long as the screen is turned on.  You’re not going to see background objects through it when it’s on.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Its not about the size it's about the background. Sure in the pics a nice water feature or something but who wants to watch a movie with part showing a murder in a bedroom and the surrounds in a tropical garden?  What's the point for paying for the transparent part? 

I agree, what is the point, but I think when you watch something it will fit the whole screen, if you want.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I think JGF thinks it is transparent when it’s operating?

But an LCD doesn’t work that way, the picture would still have a black background in the parts that didn’t have a picture as long as the screen is turned on.  You’re not going to see background objects through it when it’s on.

I think you meant OLED.  LED is not even close.