New TV

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

I think you meant OLED.  LED is not even close.

OLED is LED, it is just Organic LED (there are many types of LED).

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Its not about the size it's about the background. Sure in the pics a nice water feature or something but who wants to watch a movie with part showing a murder in a bedroom and the surrounds in a tropical garden?  What's the point for paying for the transparent part? 

LG already have these for the purpose I thought would be good.  If someone buys it for home, it is probably more of a statement than a practical choice.  However, they could come up with some home applications that might be popular.

https://www.lg.com/global/business/oled-signage/lg-55EW5F-A

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

OLED is LED, it is just Organic LED (there are many types of LED).

I have seen this guy do Home Theatre equipment reviews before and like his stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

In 1999 my wife bought a Sony TV, a VHS player and 3 VHS movies in Cebu for like a billion peso's (not quite, but it was A LOT)...  and then "boated" it all back to Eastern Samar.  Then she called me in the middle of the night and asked 'how do I connect this"?  A miracle occurred, and somehow she got it all to work.  The VHS movies lasted about 2 years until the whole town had them memorized and they eventually disintegrated from being played over and over.... the VHS player was kidnapped while being lent out for the town fiesta one year... and amazingly the TV died a slow death picking up a single station from Tacloban until it's demise during Yolanda.   The replacement TV for this now sits ON 12 hours a day connected to cable TV... but unwatched, as everyone has their head buried in a 2'x5"  phone watching who knows what :89:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

TimL
Posted
Posted

I didn’t even make it past the first 2 words of the article. Chinese electronics. I’ll pass. 😂

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I think JGF thinks it is transparent when it’s operating?

But an LCD doesn’t work that way, the picture would still have a black background in the parts that didn’t have a picture as long as the screen is turned on.  You’re not going to see background objects through it when it’s on.

Your probably correct. I dont remember the last time the TV was turned on here so whatever they come up with wont matter to me. :tiphat:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Accommodating a large TV is more about seating distance from the TV.  Most people who have a 65 or even a 55 are probably sitting too close. 85 and 100 is more of a dedicated room home theater size with seats at the appropriate distance.  Of course some people will take one and put it in a small apartment!

Not sure what you mean "alleviate this issue."  You mean when it is off?

There is also the issue of the clarity of the picture if you are sitting too close to the screen - I wanted a 55" screen but knew that the picture would be "fuzzy" as the sofa is too close so we wnet for a 49". 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

My TV is ill at the moment, after having been struck by lightning and is waiting for me to fix it. :sad:

My telly.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There is also the issue of the clarity of the picture if you are sitting too close to the screen - I wanted a 55" screen but knew that the picture would be "fuzzy" as the sofa is too close so we wnet for a 49". 

Yup, I'm right at the minimum distance with my 55, in the main viewing seating.  65 would need a bigger room.  For a given budget, better to go with higher quality small size that is correct for the room.

I stayed at 1 or 2 Air BnBs that advertised 55 inch TV, and one of them had such a narrow living area that you were ridiculously close the screen!  For 55, I would go with at least 10 feet which is where my 10 X 7 carpet tells me I am!  :smile:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, graham59 said:

My TV is ill at the moment, after having been struck by lightning and is waiting for me to fix it. :sad:

My telly.jpg

Covid?