New TV

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yup, I'm right at the minimum distance with my 55, in the main viewing seating.  65 would need a bigger room.  For a given budget, better to go with higher quality small size that is correct for the room.

I stayed at 1 or 2 Air BnBs that advertised 55 inch TV, and one of them had such a narrow living area that you were ridiculously close the screen!  For 55, I would go with at least 10 feet which is where my 10 X 7 carpet tells me I am!  :smile:

We have just about 7 feet between our sofa and the TV so not enough for a 55" IMO.  I agree with you, better to spend the money on a better quality unit which works for the room size.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Covid?

More like 'no vid' at present. 

I have found a new matching power supply board on Lazada, so hopefully that will be a fix. 

p2000 is more palatable than  15-30,000 for a new TV. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We have just about 7 feet between our sofa and the TV so not enough for a 55" IMO.  I agree with you, better to spend the money on a better quality unit which works for the room size.

Yes, some places say 7 is ok but too close for me.  Might as well put on a virtual reality headset!  :smile:

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I also managed to fix our microwave, which almost caught fire during the same lightning strike.

There appeared at the door last evening my bro-in-law, with another broken microwave. Seems my reputation is spreading far and wide. lol

Mr. Miracle Microwave Fixer'  got it going again after a few minutes....simply by replacing the blown fuse. :dance: 

• Like 3

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I have a projector down in the man cave, I’ve had it for quite a few years, it’s only 1080p and the bulbs are expensive, I will replace it with a TV if we keep the house. We have a high dollar 4K Sony upstairs but really the cheapo 4K TV we have in the Philippines looks almost as good, I won’t ever buy an expensive one again.9FF95096-38A6-4FDF-B8C2-D6553065FB53.jpeg

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Heeb said:

I have a projector down in the man cave, I’ve had it for quite a few years, it’s only 1080p and the bulbs are expensive, I will replace it with a TV if we keep the house. We have a high dollar 4K Sony upstairs but really the cheapo 4K TV we have in the Philippines looks almost as good, I won’t ever buy an expensive one again.9FF95096-38A6-4FDF-B8C2-D6553065FB53.jpeg

I have considered getting a projector before but don't have a good place for one now.  They can actually be a good value if you want a large picture, even in the Philippines.  Not widely found, but they are around.  I always thought it would be cool to set one up on an outdoor lanai if you had the right place.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, graham59 said:

I also managed to fix our microwave, which almost caught fire during the same lightning strike.

Just yesterday, I gave the electrician, who is wiring our new home, some cash to go to Everflex to buy an appropriately configured whole-house surge protector. I had seen some that were about P1,200, but they weren't strong enough.

I decided it was worth almost anything to protect appliances (especially 4 aircon units), TV (when we get one or two) and computers. I really wanted to get a complete voltage regulator, but finances have reared their ugly heads now...

It's been educational to read the posts in this topic about distances for viewing and proper sizing. I have a better idea what to look for now and how to place seating and screen.

I would not at all be interested in the "invisible" screen. No need. To me it sounds a lot like a gimmick...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I would not at all be interested in the "invisible" screen. No need. To me it sounds a lot like a gimmick...

Yes to me also Tommy T.  

I still think curved screens are a gimmick too, they cost way more and the amount of curve isn't enough to make the pixels equidistant from the viewer which defeats the purpose of curving the screen (and even if they were that curved the sweet spot would only be for one person)... pointless.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Just yesterday, I gave the electrician, who is wiring our new home, some cash to go to Everflex to buy an appropriately configured whole-house surge protector. I had seen some that were about P1,200, but they weren't strong enough.

I decided it was worth almost anything to protect appliances (especially 4 aircon units), TV (when we get one or two) and computers. I really wanted to get a complete voltage regulator, but finances have reared their ugly heads now...

Let us know what options you find and what you get.  Where would it be installed?  Near the main circuit box?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Yes to me also Tommy T.  

I still think curved screens are a gimmick too, they cost way more and the amount of curve isn't enough to make the pixels equidistant from the viewer which defeats the purpose of curving the screen (and even if they were that curved the sweet spot would only be for one person)... pointless.

I think the prices have come way down.  I have never put any time into looking into them.  Seems like the side angle viewing would be cut off?  We can stand on the side of our Samsung flat LED and still see it well.  Comes in handy sometimes.