New TV

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I think the prices have come way down.  I have never put any time into looking into them.  Seems like the side angle viewing would be cut off?  We can stand on the side of our Samsung flat LED and still see it well.  Comes in handy sometimes.

I confess I haven't checked the prices for about 2 years, but most new ideas do come down in price.

And yes the side viewing angle would be cut off.

Honestly... I see the idea as a marketing ploy not a useful idea.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I confess I haven't checked the prices for about 2 years, but most new ideas do come down in price.

And yes the side viewing angle would be cut off.

Honestly... I see the idea as a marketing ploy not a useful idea.

I agree -the fact that so few of them are available suggests they haven't taken off.  I contemplated buying one when we were changing sets a year ago but the choice was limited.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Let us know what options you find and what you get.  Where would it be installed?  Near the main circuit box?

The sparky will install it right above the main circuit panel so the incoming mains will connect first to the protector, then to the panel below.

Edited by Tommy T.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The sparky will install it right above the main circuit panel so the incoming mains will connect first to the protector, then to the panel below.

In my mind I pictured a rather large box that would require a dedicated shelf or space.  Am I wrong about the size?  Are they smaller/

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In my mind I pictured a rather large box that would require a dedicated shelf or space.  Am I wrong about the size?  Are they smaller/

20200811_114211_resized.jpg

This is the one I looked at last week. It did not have enough capacity, so the bigger one may be larger but not huge. I believe the sparky will install it in a small breaker box.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3dca690cb0bbc913imageproxy.php?img=&key=3dca690cb0bbc91320200811_114211_resized.jpg

This is the one I looked at last week. It did not have enough capacity, so the bigger one may be larger but not huge. I believe the sparky will install it in a small breaker box.

Thanks.  I think you mentioned AVR above.  What does a whole house AVR look like?  Our voltage is a bit strange here so I think I would have to spring the extra pesos for an AVR too.

In case we get a NEW TV.  Staying on topic!  :smile:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks.  I think you mentioned AVR above.  What does a whole house AVR look like?  Our voltage is a bit strange here so I think I would have to spring the extra pesos for an AVR too.

Can't help you with that one. Since I don't have the cash now I did not even look. I imagine they are rather pricey. I remember a topic a while back - maybe 9 months ago where there were some guys who were knowledgeable about them.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I visited OTR this morning and got some good news. Besides that they will take care of anything wrong, it turns out that the pink is some sort of coating that will be wiped off. It sure seemed like the actual colour of the laminate to me and I could not wipe it off with my finger. I really don't care, so long as none of the work is pink!