Life budget

Kawanor
Posted
Posted

Thinking about going to the Philippines and retiring early. I am 45 years old and do not drink and do not smoke. buy local food make a lot at home, rent small apartment in the country. Go to a local church. Live calmly and find friends. Then I wonder if $ 170,000 can hold as the budget. And how many years that sum can last

250px-Ph_locator_bohol_talibon.png

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

$170,000 could be invested in the stock market on stocks paying 7% dividends which would give you $1000 a month without touching the stocks.  You could live on that for a long time, until inflation makes it impossible.

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

$170,000 could be invested in the stock market on stocks paying 7% dividends which would give you $1000 a month without touching the stocks.  You could live on that for a long time, until inflation makes it impossible.

4 hours ago, Kawanor said:

Thinking about going to the Philippines and retiring early. I am 45 years old and do not drink and do not smoke. buy local food make a lot at home, rent small apartment in the country. Go to a local church. Live calmly and find friends. Then I wonder if $ 170,000 can hold as the budget. And how many years that sum can last

250px-Ph_locator_bohol_talibon.png

I lived in Norway for about a year. Forget about all of the social benefits that Norway offers. There's no such benefits (Medical, etc.) in the Philippines.

If you ever need a complicated medical operation (or procedure), you'll need more than $1,000 to get it done, and if you live in a rural area (a.k.a., the provinces), emergency visits to hospitals (providing that the ambulance is given way by other drivers, and gets you to a nearby hospital whilst you're still alive), such trips are sadly only one-way trips in many cases,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Agree.

Health matters would be my biggest concern (and I'm an expert on living on next to nothing).

A very bad time to be looking for affordable health schemes too, at the moment, I'd have thought.  

There is Philhealth... and LUCK... as in, which mosquito decides to bite you, etc.

Budget, with steady income from suitable inflation-proof investments (NOT business investments in the Phils  :ohmy:) would certainly be enough for kuripot me. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dave... could you please tell me what stocks are paying 7% dividends these days? I feel lucky to get 3-4% maybe...

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Dave... could you please tell me what stocks are paying 7% dividends these days?

I would tell ya but then the price of the shares would go up and when I want to buy more it would cost me more. :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

But Google is more generous than I am so a search provides this link

https://www.investopedia.com/investing/monthly-dividend-stocks/

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kawanor said:

Only $20 house rent. 

As you can see, it can be done.  But most will tell you that you cannot do it.  Welcome to the forum.

• Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

With so many (currently hidden) links to one Youtube site it looks suspiciously like you have a financial interest in that site and this is just a way to spread links.  I shall lock the thread until Admin gets a chance to review it.

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1