Why go from your country.

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 9/25/2020 at 5:28 PM, Mike J said:

And the reason to not marry is because a few years down the road those little beauties look like this. 

image.jpeg

At least the young beauties will last for a few good years (before becoming pangit, as shown above)... and they'll always be a fresh crop of young beauties to take their places. :tiphat:

• Haha 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

why go from your country, one word, WANDERLUST

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2020 at 1:31 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Zero regrets so far.

However, when I moved from Canada to the Philippines over a dozen years ago I also had zero regrets.  Seize the day.

Just catching up on this topic.

Check back with Dave in mid-January to see how the wifey likes it!

shutterstock_129689975-600x600.jpg

One thing is, those Canadians know how to deal with the cold and the buses always run on time!

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, hk blues said:

For me, the issue going back to the UK would be that my wife wouldn't get a share of my UK pension due to the age difference so she'd be "on her own" in terms of UK benefits

That's too bad.  They actually have a rule that says "if spouse is X years younger" they can't qualify?  Seem rather discriminatory.  I suppose they think they are protecting someone and/or saving money.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

That's too bad.  They actually have a rule that says "if spouse is X years younger" they can't qualify?  Seem rather discriminatory.  I suppose they think they are protecting someone and/or saving money.

Yep...10 years or more age difference then it's a no.  I can see why t.b.h. - helps prevent someone marrying an old duffer just to get his pension.  It also helps reduce costs as the amount of pension being paid out is less. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep...10 years or more age difference then it's a no.  I can see why t.b.h. - helps prevent someone marrying an old duffer just to get his pension.  It also helps reduce costs as the amount of pension being paid out is less. 

Does that apply only when you are already getting the pension?  I have no idea what the pension age is, but for instance...

If it starts at 65 and when you are 62, you marry someone aged 51.  Not qualified when you turn 65?

Or, it starts at 65 and you are 66 and collecting.  You marry someone 55.  Not qualified?

I'm just curious.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Does that apply only when you are already getting the pension?  I have no idea what the pension age is, but for instance...

If it starts at 65 and when you are 62, you marry someone aged 51.  Not qualified when you turn 65?

Or, it starts at 65 and you are 66 and collecting.  You marry someone 55.  Not qualified?

I'm just curious.

It doesn't really matter as the pension I'm talking about is Widow's pension so at the time of my death they would check my wife's age and if she is more than 10 years younger at that time she will not get anything.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It doesn't really matter as the pension I'm talking about is Widow's pension so at the time of my death they would check my wife's age and if she is more than 10 years younger at that time she will not get anything.  

Got it!  For U.S. Social Security, a spouse can get a pension on the other spouse's account when she turns 62, as long as she has been in the U.S. 5 years.  The old fart might be 100 or 62.  I'm not sure what happens when he dies and she does not have the 5 years in yet.  Need to check on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1