Pemberton Released Early

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

An Olongapo court has ordered the early release of a US Marine convicted for killing a Filipino transgender woman in 2014, citing good conduct. 

The Olongapo City Regional Trial Court Branch 74 granted Tuesday US Marine Lance Corporal Joseph Pemberton's plea for release after finding he has served beyond his 10-year prison sentence under the good conduct time allowance rule (GCTA). 

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/02/20/court-orders-early-release-of-us-marine-in-transgender-womans-slay-over-good-conduct?fbclid=IwAR3Dbd9yN76gjazhpUGvlDmNvzTMEkpWsX0swWmB1GU5xggazZgHl63XS3w

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Now he likely has to face the US Military judicial system... because I doubt they processed his discharge yet... and they can also bring charges against him. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Now he likely has to face the US Military judicial system

So military personal get charged twice for the same crime?  I did not know that. 

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Didn’t say for the same crime.  But unless he managed to get discharged before he went to jail.... To begin with he’s been AWOL for six years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Didn’t say for the same crime.  But unless he managed to get discharged before he went to jail.... To begin with he’s been AWOL for six years. 

I can't recall the details, but his trial and pre-trial custody was closely coordinated with the U.S. military.  I think I recall he was actually guarded by U.S. military guards while in custody in Manila.

I have no idea if he will be up for further prosecution by U.S. military.

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

The Laude family wanted him to stay in jail according to CNN Philippines but there was also this bit in the article.

The court also took note that Pemberton already paid the Laude family the full amount of ₱4.65 million for civil damages.

https://www.cnn.ph/news/2020/9/2/Pemberton-release-order-Laude-killing.html

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Balisidar said:

Pemberton already paid the Laude family the full amount of ₱4.65 million for civil damages

I wonder how much is left today :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Joey G said:

because I doubt they processed his discharge yet.

In this case they have not. He had US military guards the whole time during his imprisonment. If this had occurred in the US, once he was found guilty and sentenced he normally would have been discharged, unless for some reason he faced military charges also.

5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So military personal get charged twice for the same crime? 

If the US wanted to go through the hassle they could prosecute him not for murder, but for "conduct unbecoming". But usually in cases like this, once he is returned to a Marine base stateside, he will go through a summary court martial for the charge of AWOL "absent without leave" and be given a bad conduct discharge, sentenced to time served and be given a free ride to the main gate. 

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted (edited)

fixed my edit in later reply... :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by Joey G
didn't save correctly