Why is there no panic about TB?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I saw this meme today and checked out the numbers, and they are true.  Philippines is one of the top 10 countries.  i guess the world does not care too much as these are mostly poor countries.  Philippines for 2018, 591,000 cases, 26,600 deaths.  U.S., 9800 cases, 657 deaths.

118939939_3495247453865713_200666353570848520_n (1).jpg

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis

https://worldhealthorg.shinyapps.io/tb_profiles/?_inputs_&lan="EN"&iso2="PH"&main_tabs="est_tab"

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah... I wonder a lot about this too. I want L and daughter to get the adult boosters...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

We all know that TB is bad.  10M people getting it in one year is bad.  1.5 million dying is bad too.  I believe that is why we are getting Covid shoved down our throat.  27M people getting Covid in just HALF a year and almost 1 million dying in that time (.885M at this writing).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Fortunately there is a vaccine for TB.  More people should have used it I suppose.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Fortunately there is a vaccine for TB.  More people should have used it I suppose.

Yeah... that is the reason why I don't think we're getting TB restrictions.

If there is a vaccine available to you (BCG normally) and you choose not to take it and end up catching TB... well you'll get no sympathy from me. 

Also TB is curable, it takes a long 6 to 8 months but it is.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

L's Mom had a cough and complained for a long time about not feeling well. She finally had a blood test and it came up showing TB. So she has been taking an antibiotic cocktail for a few months now and feels much better. I think we all need to get tested now to make sure we haven't contracted it from her...

Then we also have polio to worry about. Not our family, but in the country at large, since it is also making a come back... If it's not one thing, it's another...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Yeah... that is the reason why I don't think we're getting TB restrictions.

If there is a vaccine available to you (BCG normally) and you choose not to take it and end up catching TB... well you'll get no sympathy from me. 

Also it is not as contagious as the flu.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Its also a mycobacterium; not a virus.

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted

In Hawaii TB is tested for several groups... including students, teachers, food handlers, and health care workers. They stopped for awhile when COVID hit, but started up back with the requirements in June.  I do know if a worker is diagnosed with TB... the whole place gets shutdown.

How contagious? Like MOC said... it's a bacteria not a virus... and you don't get it from touching... it's passed through the air.... primarily from air breathed out, to air breathed in. The bacteria can survive for several hours in the air.

If you want any type of immigrant visa to the USA... you will need to be tested for TB. My wife still has her chest x-rays from when she got her K-1... she saved everything :2245_safe:

I'll take the flu over TB.... 

• Like 3

fototek1
Posted
Posted

You can be exposed to TB and have the bacteria in your system with no symptoms. You can live a normal healthy life and one day your immune system gets weak and the bacteria become active. This is Latent TB. I was diagnosed with this a few years ago. They can treat Latent TB but you will always test positive for TB after this. 

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic