Where to Have Life As An Ex-Expat?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You can be away from cities without really being in the complete boondocks.

This is a good point.  After reading your OP and list of criteria I started to respond and ask if you wanted to add another factor to consider such as ; nearby amenities like shopping, parks, and entertainment.  I know for my wife she prefers good shopping within reason.  However, any place with really good amenities will of course draw others with their traffic.  Which is again one of the reasons I do not want to live within or very close to a major city.  Just close enough for when that urge hits, you are close enough to make the trip to and from without spending dawn to dusk.  So there again like I quoted you, in most places in Florida, "You can be away from cities without really being in the complete boondocks."

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Trust me, OMW... The winters in Colorado and Wyoming are brutal. I like Wyoming because it is so sparsely populated and so truly lovely with the mountains. I have no idea about their taxes... Prices for real estate there are still relatively low because there really is not much there - few cities, small infrastucture... 

It is an incredibly beautiful part of the world. The air is so clean and the mountains are incredible. The vistas are outrageous. But it is sooooo cold.... How many more children do you want to make???

But you would need a lot of wood for a stove for heat or gas or electricity  because it gets so cold. Or you just get some heavy covers and you and your girl can snuggle - for maybe 7 months!!! Maybe you can order Food Panda during that time???

Another niece just posted this photo from Denver!  I have spent a lot of time in Denver and I think it is cool that the weather can change drastically, sometimes in a matter of hours.  Sunny and 75 at noon, snowing at 4 pm!

119065556_10224026904126587_4674841460643633536_o.jpg

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Another niece just posted this photo from Denver!  I have spent a lot of time in Denver and I think it is cool that the weather can change drastically, sometimes in a matter of hours.  Sunny and 75 at noon, snowing at 4 pm!

119065556_10224026904126587_4674841460643633536_o.jpg

Sounds like Scotland.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Sounds like Scotland.

Doesn't look like it though, Jim! That pool would be a skating rink - in July! :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

ask if you wanted to add another factor to consider such as ; nearby amenities like shopping, parks, and entertainment.  I know for my wife she prefers good shopping within reason.

That is what is nice about the U.S.  You can usually count on some parks around in the suburbs, and many sub-divisions have their own parks.  All the areas I would consider will have the basics nearby, such as large grocery, Home Depot, theaters, etc.  Those are spread everywhere now.

Really the biggest issue if I try to do this, budget-wise, is healthcare insurance costs.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89: Sound s to me that a lot of the Members of Late seem unsettled, they come here Build a life, have children and some  have not yet finished building and Finishing, now from this Topic it would seem that many want to just give up and go Back Home( which I would have thought the PI was now) But..................................:whatever: YET! Home as many have posted, is not as it was and Can't be afforded now on those irritating FIxed incomes and I doubt the yield of late on Stocks and shares etc would be much of a supplement + the Governments of Home (Wherever that may be) are Suspect to them So.............................. Just my thoughts on things:smile:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

That is what is nice about the U.S.  You can usually count on some parks around in the suburbs, and many sub-divisions have their own parks.  All the areas I would consider will have the basics nearby, such as large grocery, Home Depot, theaters, etc.  Those are spread everywhere now.

Really the biggest issue if I try to do this, budget-wise, is healthcare insurance costs.

Can I ask , what would the cost be for healthcare for yourself and the family.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Sound s to me that a lot of the Members of Late seem unsettled, they come here Build a life, have children and some  have not yet finished building and Finishing, now from this Topic it would seem that many want to just give up and go Back Home( which I would have thought the PI was now) But..................................:whatever: YET! Home as many have posted, is not as it was and Can't be afforded now on those irritating FIxed incomes and I doubt the yield of late on Stocks and shares etc would be much of a supplement + the Governments of Home (Wherever that may be) are Suspect to them So.............................. Just my thoughts on things:smile:

I came, I saw, but they conquered me , so I left ,:whistling: but I may try again in the future.

• Haha 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Can I ask , what would the cost be for healthcare for yourself and the family.

Steve, that is a broad question.  Somewhat like asking how much does a dinner cost for a family.  There are a lot of variables such as what type of health coverage, deductibles, limits, etc.  But to give you an idea, where I retired the local government supplemented employees insurance so I only paid about $150. a month for a family plan.  Health, eye, prescriptions, and dental coverage.  One of the best policies available.  I can acquire it again as a retiree.  However, that same policy would cost me $1,058.  MONTHLY!  Ouch.  That is why OMW mentioned being a concern

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I came, I saw, but they conquered me , so I left ,:whistling: but I may try again in the future.

Looks like you have a nice house in a beautiful area and wife.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1