Where to Have Life As An Ex-Expat?

stevewool
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Steve, that is a broad question.  Somewhat like asking how much does a dinner cost for a family.  There are a lot of variables such as what type of health coverage, deductibles, limits, etc.  But to give you an idea, where I retired the local government supplemented employees insurance so I only paid about $150. a month for a family plan.  Health, eye, prescriptions, and dental coverage.  One of the best policies available.  I can acquire it again as a retiree.  However, that same policy would cost me $1,058.  MONTHLY!  Ouch.  That is why OMW mentioned being a concern

Wow, They say health is wealth ,but in that case you have to be wealthy to get the health .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, intrepid said:

We plan to keep our house here and undecided if we may return sometime in the future and hopefully we can return to our original plan.  We shall see.:tiphat:

I Love Honesty my Friend, May all your dreams and desire come true :tiphat:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Wow, They say health is wealth ,but in that case you have to be wealthy to get the health .

Sorry Steve, I should have mentioned there are many other plans available that would cost less but then have less coverage as well.  Also available is government supplemented insurances.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Looks like you have a nice house in a beautiful area and wife.

Thanks Jim ,I am very lucky , I have been told by many that the house is lovely and Cosy ‘ a nice word for small ‘ is what they mean , but it’s home and yes a beautiful wife too

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Sorry Steve, I should have mentioned there are many other plans available that would cost less but then have less coverage as well.  Also available is government supplemented insurances.

That is the problem with so many plans , the one which you could afford does not cover for what you may have in the future ,

This is where here in England I think I am very lucky not to have to pay for these things unless I want to go private, plus it’s a good reason to keep a home here too .

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Steve, that is a broad question.  Somewhat like asking how much does a dinner cost for a family.  There are a lot of Avariables such as what type of health coverage, deductibles, limits, etc.  But to give you an idea, where I retired the local government supplemented employees insurance so I only paid about $150. a month for a family plan.  Health, eye, prescriptions, and dental coverage.  One of the best policies available.  I can acquire it again as a retiree.  However, that same policy would cost me $1,058.  MONTHLY!  Ouch.  That is why OMW mentioned being a concern

As Intrepid alluded to, it is hard to estimate.  I will qualify for Medicare at age 65 next year and that costs $150-200 a month, deducted from my Social Security.  So I would have to buy another plan for my wife and kids.  That would be $1000 plus a month and the deductible is high too.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’ll put my plug on for west central Florida. Had a house in Spring Hill (Hernando County) from 1985 until I sold it two years ago (due my nomadic lifestyle it wasn’t worth keeping it). Insurance, both home and auto, is reasonable as the county is still considered rural. But all the big box stores are there as well as many good chain restos (Red Lobster, Hooters, Cracker Barrel, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, etc), a couple of cinemas, both large and small specialty grocery stores (a new asian market just opened, but haven’t been there yet - will check it out next week when I’m there visiting my cousin). 

The county, in general, has a good infrastructure, including good schools. There’s also a couple of private schools there well......Catholic and Montessori (no idea about tuition). As a bedroom community to Tampa is not too bad of commute to get to major malls or the airport. There is also a decent sized Filipino community in the metro Tampa Bay area. 

There are many nice homes available well within your budget. Stay east of US Hwy 19 (main north/south corridor) as much of the west side is designated as a coastal flood zone and your insurance rates would be higher. I’d also avoid the central part of Spring Hill (near Mariner Blvd and Spring Hill drive) as that’s known for sink holes and your insurance rates would be higher there as well. In fact, put that question on your list to ask an insurance agent / realtor for most any home in central Florida. 

As far as hurricanes go......that area hasn’t taken a direct hit in since the 1930’s. Even then the worst of the storm hit further south. Thats not to say the area does not get impacted by some of the hurricanes and you need to take precautions. Historically, if they come in from the Gulf, they make land between Naples and Sarasota and continue East / Northeast. A few years ago when Irma hit I was preparing to bug out as mostly all the storm tracks were predicting it would make landfall in the Tampa Bay Area.....perhaps even Hernando county directly. My cousin was in panic and I told her.....if it turns inland and hits Punta Gorda (like hurricane Charley did in 2004 I think) or anywhere south of there then we’d be fine and can stay. I think it was Mike B, who was living a few miles south of me at the time in the Pasco County part of Spring Hill, who bugged out early and went to the Orlando area to take shelter (in a rented condo if I recall). Irma rounded / passed over the Keys, turned inland, hit Naples (or just south of there) and then tore up thru central Florida. Mike was trapped in Orlando and all we had was a day of heavy to moderate rain and about an hour or two or gusty wind. Either later that day or the next morning, can’t recall, I went to check on Mike’s house. There was a Palm frond on his roof and another in his driveway, that’s it, lol. But I can’t fault him for evacuating and keeping his wife and young son safe. A few more hours  later, and had the storm not changed track, I would have bugged out as well and headed for Georgia. 

Like Nevada, and as I’m sure you already know, there is no state income tax. Property taxes are fairly low (compared to the eat coast) and after one year you can claim a “homestead” exemption, which lowers your homes assessed value by 25k. Plus another 5k can be deducted if you’re a military veteran; and now I think they are also allowing it for retired / former first responders as well, but I’m sure if you can double dip and get a 10k deduction. 

Having a very large senior citizen population quality health care is readily available. Of course having Tampa / St. Pete nearby offers additional health care and specialized resources such as All Children’s Hospital, Moffit Cancer Center and Tampa General Hospital, which consistently ranks as one of the top hospitals in the country. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Sounds like you should move to Utah, Jake...:whistling:? I believe that is actually still legal there?

Hmmm... I was assuming you meant two female bodies next to you????:89:

I think two female Big Foots should be sufficient to keep me warm.  

• Haha 4