Where to Have Life As An Ex-Expat?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I always wanted to live like Charlton Heston in Omega Man.  What a life!

It is very sad as Detroit used to be a great American city.  How about this one.  Actually there are a whole bunch you can buy for $1000.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3751-Hogarth-St-Detroit-MI-48206/88658792_zpid/

Just needs a lick of paint.:whistling:

• Haha 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, GeoffH said:

?

Jake
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It is very sad as Detroit used to be a great American city.  How about this one.  Actually there are a whole bunch you can buy for $1000.

Always wanted a crack house in Detroit but it looks too expensive Don.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think houses in Portland can be bought cheap these days. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jake said:

?

I was in the middle of editing the post when my computer crashed...

now I can't remember what I was going to say *sigh*

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

now I can't remember what I was going to say

My wife would tell you to take some Virgin coconut oil daily. It is supposed to protect us against memory lose.

But then in the last 8 years I have heard that vco cures everything from covid 19 to hangnails and the clap :hystery: 

• Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

My wife would tell you to take some Virgin coconut oil daily. It is supposed to protect us against memory lose.

But then in the last 8 years I have heard that vco cures everything from covid 19 to hangnails and the clap :hystery: 

I tried that once.  I hid the bottle so my wife would not use it for cooking.  I'm still looking for it.

• Haha 5

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

I would add WA State to the list (if not already; haven't looked at all replies), But not the Seattle metro area.  No state income tax so far and I've mostly lived here since '92, and besides the 5 blue counties that tell rest of us what to do, rest of it is fairly conservative to very conservative in some.  We love Bellingham/Whatcom County as good mix and still 80 mi or so from Seattle and even closer to Vancouver, BC.  LOTS of Filipinos here all over Western WA especially, with a lot of Navy bases, plus Army/USAF down south of Tacoma.  Also Pierce county isn't bad.  Real estate still going up and will continue to do so as more flee Seattle and are coming up here, as well as other cheaper and more sane towns/cities...I think we all know Seattle is not way behind Portland in craziness. The scenery of the PacNW is Incredible and "free" to enjoy most of it.  Outdoor recreation here is Big year round (all water sports, skiing, hiking, camping, hunting, on and on) and in Western WA, rarely ever gets real hot and if does, not for long.  Most homes do not have A/C, as would only need it 1 month per yr...low power bills for most part. Go east of Cascades and more alpine dry with colder winters and hot summers, but dry heat.   I grew up in NC and lived there as an adult, but would choose WA over NC/South/East Coast any day. There's quite a few on this site from WA area.  If ya ever wanna come check it out, you and family are welcome to our place anytime...live up on mountain overlooking a 10 mi Lake Whatcom and surrounded by true Old Growth forest.  If we weren't looking to try the PI for a few yrs, then return, I'd never leave.  

• Like 5

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 9/7/2020 at 5:26 PM, OnMyWay said:

California would be my most desired state to live in, climate wise.  I spend the first 50 years of my life there.  However, the housing is ridiculously high and they have the highest taxes in the country.  If you look at real prices for a decent house in Oxnard, $400-500 k minimum.

Don, you can still get decent houses here in 300's as long as don't want to live In Bellingham.  In summer here, it's much like northern CA..crystal blue skies, semi hot and dry as a bone.  Other towns/areas to consider in county are Birch Bay,. Blaine (at the border) and Lynden.  Public schools also are excellent so far.  Had bud whose daughter attended the International School in Singapore when working there, and when they came here, were very pleased with high school.  She speaks Mandarin as well and heading to dental school now.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 9/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, scott h said:

So...Scott... where are the virgins?

• Haha 2