Where to Have Life As An Ex-Expat?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

Don, you can still get decent houses here in 300's as long as don't want to live In Bellingham.  In summer here, it's much like northern CA..crystal blue skies, semi hot and dry as a bone.  Other towns/areas to consider in county are Birch Bay,. Blaine (at the border) and Lynden.  Public schools also are excellent so far.  Had bud whose daughter attended the International School in Singapore when working there, and when they came here, were very pleased with high school.  She speaks Mandarin as well and heading to dental school now.

Yeah... I loved living near Seattle (Redmond). But it was just time to move on. The winters were dismal (September through May with just the overcast and cold drizzle).

If you are still there, L and I would love to visit so she can experience the incredible Pacific Northwest. I hope your invitation will still be open and valid in another year or two?

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

I would add WA State to the list (if not already; haven't looked at all replies), But not the Seattle metro area.  No state income tax so far and I've mostly lived here since '92, and besides the 5 blue counties that tell rest of us what to do, rest of it is fairly conservative to very conservative in some.  We love Bellingham/Whatcom County as good mix and still 80 mi or so from Seattle and even closer to Vancouver, BC.  LOTS of Filipinos here all over Western WA especially, with a lot of Navy bases, plus Army/USAF down south of Tacoma.  Also Pierce county isn't bad.  Real estate still going up and will continue to do so as more flee Seattle and are coming up here, as well as other cheaper and more sane towns/cities...I think we all know Seattle is not way behind Portland in craziness. The scenery of the PacNW is Incredible and "free" to enjoy most of it.  Outdoor recreation here is Big year round (all water sports, skiing, hiking, camping, hunting, on and on) and in Western WA, rarely ever gets real hot and if does, not for long.  Most homes do not have A/C, as would only need it 1 month per yr...low power bills for most part. Go east of Cascades and more alpine dry with colder winters and hot summers, but dry heat.   I grew up in NC and lived there as an adult, but would choose WA over NC/South/East Coast any day. There's quite a few on this site from WA area.  If ya ever wanna come check it out, you and family are welcome to our place anytime...live up on mountain overlooking a 10 mi Lake Whatcom and surrounded by true Old Growth forest.  If we weren't looking to try the PI for a few yrs, then return, I'd never leave.  

Actually Washington State did cross my mind.  I think they top the list of states with the least overall tax bite.  I will keep it in mind and thanks for the offer!

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

I would add WA State to the list (if not already; haven't looked at all replies), But not the Seattle metro area.  No state income tax so far and I've mostly lived here since '92, and besides the 5 blue counties that tell rest of us what to do, rest of it is fairly conservative to very conservative in some.  We love Bellingham/Whatcom County as good mix and still 80 mi or so from Seattle and even closer to Vancouver, BC.  LOTS of Filipinos here all over Western WA especially, with a lot of Navy bases, plus Army/USAF down south of Tacoma.  Also Pierce county isn't bad.  Real estate still going up and will continue to do so as more flee Seattle and are coming up here, as well as other cheaper and more sane towns/cities...I think we all know Seattle is not way behind Portland in craziness. The scenery of the PacNW is Incredible and "free" to enjoy most of it.  Outdoor recreation here is Big year round (all water sports, skiing, hiking, camping, hunting, on and on) and in Western WA, rarely ever gets real hot and if does, not for long.  Most homes do not have A/C, as would only need it 1 month per yr...low power bills for most part. Go east of Cascades and more alpine dry with colder winters and hot summers, but dry heat.   I grew up in NC and lived there as an adult, but would choose WA over NC/South/East Coast any day. There's quite a few on this site from WA area.  If ya ever wanna come check it out, you and family are welcome to our place anytime...live up on mountain overlooking a 10 mi Lake Whatcom and surrounded by true Old Growth forest.  If we weren't looking to try the PI for a few yrs, then return, I'd never leave.  

I had the pleasure of spending time at Fort Lewis South of Tacoma in the late nineties.  All I can remember is it rained a lot then some more.  I lived in the Lakewood area and was advised not to go outside of the community running, a few places were also pretty much out of bounds if you were White and valued your life, you also needed a car to get around. The Cascade National park was worth a visit though. Lots of Thai/Filipino ladies on the base and very few American wives.  Having been down town a few times I could see why. :whistling:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I lived in the Lakewood area and was advised not to go outside of the community running, a few places were also pretty much out of bounds if you were White and valued your life, you also needed a car to get around.

Ah... Lakewood, the armpit of Tacoma... Glad you survived.

Yet, as you note, some of the best hiking and most scenic parts of the world are within maybe 30 minutes driving time from there. Mt. Rainier National Park is world class.

I hiked a lot in the Cascades. Just watch out that the horseflies don't peel all the flesh off your exposed body.

Unfortunately, housing prices on the west side of the Cascades are skyrocketing and have done so for several years. Eastern Washington has equally beautiful vistas. Great hiking and it is drier so easier to get around. Just bring your own water (giardia, otherwise), and watch out for rattlesnakes. :tiphat:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

And Yes!...You are welcome anytime to come visit. No telling when or if we'll make the move to the RP as we had planned. Covid and few other things will determine that.  Look forward to meeting you all and like the motel ad, "We'll leave the light on for ya!"

Wow! Beautiful abode in a beautiful location! I would really like to take L there to experience the best of the Pacific Northwest...while it still exists!

Before, we (ex and I) lived on Union Hill, so not far away. Now it is getting crowded and home and land prices are astronomical...

Keep your powder dry, my friend!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

And Yes!...You are welcome anytime to come visit. No telling when or if we'll make the move to the RP as we had planned. Covid and few other things will determine that.  Look forward to meeting you all and like the motel ad, "We'll leave the light on for ya!"

What was his name? Tom Bodette or something like that? Always enjoyed his commercials on radio and even stayed in some Motel 6's. Probably can't afford them now!!!

Totally off topic... I loved the Rainier Beer commercials, especially the one with the guy on the motorcycle.... Raaaaaaii.... niiiier... Beeeeeerrrrrr.... as he geared up probably through 70 mph...

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

What was his name? Tom Bodette or something like that? A

Totally off topic... I loved the Rainier Beer commercials, especially the one with the guy on the motorcycle.... Raaaaaaii.... niiiier... Beeeeeerrrrrr.... as he geared up probably through 70 mph...

Yep, Tom Bodette.   And yep, "Rainier, the beer from here."  Think I'd prefer a PBR from what I remember, but they do have great commercials. Now, we have so many micro brews, can't keep up.

Don, Another reason to consider WA...Fantastic local micro brews and now incredible wines from east of the cascades.  Former apple orchards are now vineyards.  Numerous clear alpine lakes here where you can see to the bottom.  For cheaper housing, and exceptional lake areas, rivers, etc Spokane is also nice, over on Idaho border...hot dry summers, cold winters. Lot of Californians moving to Idaho as well. I used to do some work over in Northern Idaho, where ton of LAPD and LASO guys retired to over the years...even Mark Furman of OJ murder case fame.

• Like 2