Philippines will go for cheapest COVID-19 vaccine

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

So, I wonder if they will keep us locked down until we prove we have had a shot, or will it be "OK! The new normal is here! Your on your own!"

Or a bit of both, depending upon where you live maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised to see international travel, in the early stages at least, requiring a vaccination certificate (yes I know I've said that before).

Locally?  Who knows... that'll be up to the people in charge and it could go either way *shrug*.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Please explain to me why poor Filipinos need covid vaccine? 50k Filipinos die every year from Flu, are poor Filipinos taking the Flu vaccine every year? I don't think so. Almost all who died from covid are old people with pre existing conditions, life expectancy in the Philippines is around 69, one of the lowest in the world, so what is the big deal here with covid when Filipinos have much bigger health issues?

So what is your recommendation ?  

I am trying to understand your viewpoint; not dispute your statement.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, graham59 said:

But what of any cheap stuff side-effects ?  :89:

I never saw that!  I will find it and watch it!

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

I never saw that!  I will find it and watch it!

It is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen (seriously) :cheersty:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen (seriously) :cheersty:

I enjoyed Zombieland.  I think Zombie movies are best as comedy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Just because the Philippines will buy the cheapest doesn't mean they will sell it the cheapest.  I did a calculation on the RT-PCR test kits and the figures quoted on the Government purchase worked out just over 750 peso per test.  I've seen the actual prices being paid varying from around 4k peso to 12k peso.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Just because the Philippines will buy the cheapest doesn't mean they will sell it the cheapest.  I did a calculation on the RT-PCR test kits and the figures quoted on the Government purchase worked out just over 750 peso per test.  I've seen the actual prices being paid varying from around 4k peso to 12k peso.

Yep...where there's money to be made some will take the pee.  Sure, it happens everywhere but here it's rife. Example - alcohol ban : do they stop selling alcohol, nope, they just increase the price by 50% to 100% or more!  

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

My gf well knows that when we ever talk about the cost of something " you get what you pay for... .and you pay for what you get".. she even recites those very apt lines back at me when shopping or Lazadering ( new word !)

I'm fairly sure they might be applicable when considering ones individual choice of vaccine origin and vaccine cost

hk blues
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Freebie said:

My gf well knows that when we ever talk about the cost of something " you get what you pay for... .and you pay for what you get".. she even recites those very apt lines back at me when shopping or Lazadering ( new word !)

I'm fairly sure they might be applicable when considering ones individual choice of vaccine origin and vaccine cost

I would agree with you but after spending time here, I'm not convinced that you get what you pay for - if it's cheap it won't be up to much, that works here too but if it's expensive it doesn't necessarily mean it's good quality here.

P.S. the use of the word lazadering make me smile - here, the ability to turn everything into a verb is amazing - my personal favourite is when my son's tells his mother not to "low-bat" his phone! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, scott h said:

Now knowing Filipinos as I do, If they give the vaccinations for free most will take it. If they have to pay for it they will pass. 

Or give them some pesos and a t-shirt like is done prior to an election so that they will vote. Vaccinations are not of much interest. Take a look at TB:

"24 April 2019 - The Philippines Department of Health (DOH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) jointly call for an all-out-war against tuberculosis (TB), the number one infectious killer in the country. TB claims the lives of over 70 Filipinos every day."

https://www.who.int/tb/features_archive/Philippines-Department-of-Health-and-WHO-against-TB/en/#:~:text=24 April 2019 - The Philippines,over 70 Filipinos every day.

"Infant BCG vaccination should therefore continue in countries with a high incidence of tuberculosis."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2083037/#:~:text=The cost of BCG is,per case of either%2C prevented.

I would see a line up of 5 to 15 people daily at the health center at 8 AM waiting to get their daily dose of TB meds. Some of our family had TB, at least 5 of them recently. The vaccine cost $2- $3, far less than the costs to treat the disease or the costs of a death plus loss of family income.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic