Philippines will go for cheapest COVID-19 vaccine

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 9/7/2020 at 1:29 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can understand the cost will be high to vaccinate the whole population. But how much will it costs for foreigners as I'm sure we wont be given for free.

Philippines will go for cheapest COVID-19 vaccine —Duterte

Given the country's scarce funds, President Rodrigo Duterte said the Philippines will buy the cheapest COVID-19 vaccine that will be available in the market, saying all vaccines have the same effect.

The possibility of differing side effects has been brought up. Different levels of effectiveness among different vaccines is very likely. Resultant antibodies will remain in the vaccinated person's body for differing lengths of time.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The Philippines government have an active vaccination program for infants and Rotary in the Philippines have active vaccine programs as well.

Why would they bother?  Because it's free, and the benefits outweigh the downsides in almost all people.

Nothing is perfect but generally speaking vaccination is well tolerated in most people and where the alternative disease is dangerous it makes sense.

But no one is forcing you to take a vaccine (and I wouldn't take an un verified Russian or Chinese vaccine at this point either).

As to the Astra Zenaca pause, it's common for stage III trials to be temporarily halted when there are issues, that is after all the point of the trial.

To establish dose levels that are well tolerated across a wide range of age groups in both sexes and for people with varying conditions.

It doesn't worry me that Astro Zenica paused, what worries me is that the Russian and Chinese vaccines are being pushed out without a stage III to find these less common problems.  That means that any uncommon problems that do occur with those vaccines will happen to the general public not closely monitored stage III participants.

I am not so sure about this, in the case of covid. Especially since it will most likely be a Russian or Chinese vaccine that haven´t gone through stage III trials before it will be given to the Philippino people. Philippines have a very young population and most of them are not in the risk to be serious ill if they catch the virus. I am not against a vaccine, but I think it is unnecessary to be first in line to test a new product, especially if it comes from Russia or China.

• Like 4

Gas
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Viking said:

I am not so sure about this, in the case of covid. Especially since it will most likely be a Russian or Chinese vaccine that haven´t gone through stage III trials before it will be given to the Philippino people. Philippines have a very young population and most of them are not in the risk to be serious ill if they catch the virus. I am not against a vaccine, but I think it is unnecessary to be first in line to test a new product, especially if it comes from Russia or China.

Who knows, maybe the Chinese vaccination has been at the trial stage a lot longer and more affective. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gas said:

Who knows, maybe the Chinese vaccination has been at the trial stage a lot longer and more affective. 

Maybe, and if that is the case, they can share the info about it.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Am I the only one who NEVER asked what company made the vaccine before I had it administered? 

I might ask from now on just to be curious... but will continue to trust my Doc on vaccines.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

Am I the only one who NEVER asked what company made the vaccine before I had it administered? 

Never thought about it before but you are absolutely correct.  My doctor tells me what vaccines are available that I "should" take and sends a prescription to my pharmacist.  I go to the pharmacy and tell him I am ready for the XYZ vaccine that the doctor prescribed and he gives me a shot in the arm.  The end.

• Like 2

carbpow
Posted
Posted

Whenever my friends ask about all the news they hear, on Facebook of course, about a Covid 19 vaccine and how soon it will be available I remind them of the dengue vaccine and how that worked out for the Philippines. There will be a vaccine eventually but the people of the Philippines should not be the guinea pig for the rest of the world.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My doctor tells me what vaccines are available that I "should" take and sends a prescription to my pharmacist.  I go to the pharmacy and tell him I am ready for the XYZ vaccine that the doctor prescribed and he gives me a shot in the arm.  The end.

For vaccines where there is only one alternative that's what happens with me also but where there are competing vaccines of different types to prevent a disease my Doctor has always sat me down in his office and explained the differences.  There are for example two types of Rabies vaccine (see link below if you're interested).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/rabies-vaccine

There are more serious reasons to choose one type of vaccine rather than another type however, the cold store Polio vaccine is safe to use anywhere but the oral Polio vaccine is a live attenuated virus and should not be used in some people and/or areas due to the health risk to those particular people (generally immune suppressed or compromised people should not be given live attenuated virus vaccines).

As to the Covid vaccines we probably won't have much choice at first, maybe later after the rush dies down. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

And then you have the USA with the largest number of deaths in the world (so far).  A poll last month showed that 35% would refuse an FDA approved vaccine even if it were given at no cost. 

https://nypost.com/2020/08/07/one-third-of-americans-would-refuse-a-covid-19-vaccine-poll/

Public health experts and political leaders who say a vaccine is our only hope of stopping the spread of the coronavirus have some work to do.

One-third of Americans say they would refuse to be vaccinated, a new survey released Friday reveals.

The Gallup poll asked 7,632 respondents the following question: “If an FDA-approved vaccine to prevent coronavirus/COVID-19 was available right now at no cost, would you agree to be vaccinated?”

The results showed that only 65 percent of respondents said they would get a federally approved vaccine if it were ready today — leaving 35 percent admitting they would not.

The split is roughly the same when broken down into males and females, as well as for white Americans.

However, a higher percentage of minorities — who’ve been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19 — said they would be reluctant to take a vaccine. Fifty-nine percent of non-white respondents said they would get vaccinated but 41 percent would not.

“As the situation stands today, the nation’s influencers — including health professionals, policymakers and leaders — who see a vaccine as a way forward may have their work cut out for them in persuading Americans to take advantage of such an option,” Gallup said of the findings.

“Policymakers in government, healthcare, industry and education will need to anticipate that a significant proportion of the population will be hesitant to get a vaccine, even at no cost. Some of the most at-risk populations, including non-White and rural Americans, may not only be hesitant but resistant to getting vaccinated. Employers continuing to grapple with new workplace realities must also anticipate that a number of their workers may resist a vaccine.”

Resistance to vaccinations is nothing new in the United States, which has a sizable “anti-vaxxer” movement. Many people refuse vaccinations for religious or other reasons.

Gallup noted that a poll in 1954 found 31 percent of Americans said they would refuse to get a polio vaccination.

The current poll also reveals a differing of opinion across party lines.

The vast majority of Democrats (81 percent) said they would get a COVID-19 vaccination, while 19 percent said they wouldn’t. Meanwhile, less than half (47 percent) of Republicans said they would get a shot, while the majority (53 percent) would reject it.

Fifty-nine percent of self-described independents would get vaccinated, while 41 wouldn’t, the poll shows.

Among age groups, the survey found that 76 percent of adults ages 18 to 29 are willing to get a COVID-19 vaccination, as are 70 percent of senior citizens.

Willingness to be vaccinated is lower among the middle-aged groups — 64 percent among those 30 to 49 years old and 59 percent among those between 50 and 64.

Enlarge ImageA volunteer participating in the Moderna coronavirus vaccine trial is given a shot at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.
Henry Ford Health System/AFP via
The poll queried Americans from July 20 through Aug. 2 and has a margin of error of two percentage points.

America’s top infectious disease official, Dr. Anthony Fauci, said he expects millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccines to be available early next year.

More than 160,000 Americans have died from COVID-19, including over 32,000 confirmed and probable fatalities in New York state

• Sad 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Joey G said:

I was never given a choice are ask for an opinion :hystery:

boot shots.jpg

• Like 5

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic