Annulment Lawyer - Quezon Recommendations?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Factor in a minimum of 100,000 Peso's or more and pray you get an honest lawyer and judge.

You can probably buy an honest judge, not sure about lawyers. :hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Nick said:

Hi to all, hope all's well & staying safe,

Bit of a long shot, but was wondering if anybody could please recommend a decent annulment lawyer in the Quezon City area or nearby.... Or even advise on any lawyers to avoid!  :smile:

Not planning on starting the process soon for my GF, waiting till next year pending lifting of travel restrictions... but just want to put some feelers out to understand the process, costs & estimated timescales.

Many thanks in advance, for any advice or info

Nick

Isn't a decent annulment lawyer an oxymoron? Only joking!

You're doing the right thing by asking for a recommendation - hopefully somebody can help you out with that. 

Good Luck!

• Like 2

Nick
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Isn't a decent annulment lawyer an oxymoron? Only joking!

You're doing the right thing by asking for a recommendation - hopefully somebody can help you out with that. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Nick
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

You can probably buy an honest judge, not sure about lawyers. :hystery:

Think you're right there Mike... Out of some of the quotes received back so far, I doubt a couple are even qualified lawyers!

One quoting 250k for six months completion, because she, the 'lawyer' is "close to the judge"! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Sadly, that's how things work here...and it is also the likely cost. 

• Like 1

Nick
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Sadly, that's how things work here...and it is also the likely cost. 

Yeah Graham, I've gathered that already. However, I think the promise of a six month completion for 250k is BS :smile:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here is a thought.  I have known people to get married in a very short time by going to Thailand or Hong Kong.  I have read that foreigners with uncontested divorces can get divorced in Thailand in a very short time.

Are you planning marriage?  Is her current/former husband willing to go along with it?  It "MAY" be worth your while to take her to Thailand for a divorce and remarriage.

I know others will weigh in by saying you cannot do that in the Philippines and in the past they would be correct.  However the attitude here is changing and that may be something you could do now.

carbpow
Posted
Posted

After 2 marriages in the USA I made it a policy to never marry someone who insisted on getting married.

Most folks in the Philippines that live together or have children together are not legally married so going along with the local norms was my way of assimilating into the culture for quite a few years. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here is a thought.  I have known people to get married in a very short time by going to Thailand or Hong Kong.  I have read that foreigners with uncontested divorces can get divorced in Thailand in a very short time.

That wont free her legally here in the Philippines. She will still be married.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That wont free her legally here in the Philippines. She will still be married.

The times are achangin'

. . . In order for a Filipino to remarry, he or she must have been in a marriage that is recognized by Filipino law, involve a marriage between a Filipino and a non-native, and the non-native must have obtained a legally binding divorce while overseas. In order for the divorce to be legally binding, it must be filed in court and accepted there. If this process is followed, both parties are free to remarry.

Until recently, this applied only to mixed couples of Filipino marriages. The rule has broadened and now includes Filipinos who have become naturalized in another country and seek a legally binding divorce." . . .

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/acknowledgment-of-divorce-in-the-philippines-20090

So it "MAY" work if they move to another country (Thailand?) for an extended time, get a divorce saying she has become naturalized in another country (so long as her spouse is not contesting then who's gonna care?)

Anyway, it is just a suggestion as the laws are slowly changing while the Philippines comes into the 20th Century (not a typo . . they seem 100 years behind in some areas).

• Like 1