Question on cost of roofing

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Are you there to see what wants doing or are you being told what wants doing.

Gets a few quotes by asking around then go and price everything they are saying you want yourself , it’s surprising how a couple of tins of paint plus the odd tin sheet can solve the problem .

I'd definitely agree on checking the material price, Steve - we learned from experience that contractors have a habit of buying from the most expensive places (or charging us as if they had). 

Edit to add - Whilst it's common sense to get a few quotes I'm not sure it's very productive here - it's hard to know what quality of materials they will buy which can help them offer a lower quote.  

Edited by hk blues

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'd definitely agree on checking the material price, Steve - we learned from experience that contractors have a habit of buying from the most expensive places (or charging us as if they had). 

Edit to add - Whilst it's common sense to get a few quotes I'm not sure it's very productive here - it's hard to know what quality of materials they will buy which can help them offer a lower quote.  

When we was trying to get anyone to come and give us quotes it was very hard , it was either I know a friend who knows a friend and so on, what I found useful was Facebook market place, just put in there what you are looking for and that turned our quite good for us, ok we did not go with any of there silly prices but when the came to look at the job they gave us advice on what we will need or may not need that I did not think off myself.

Infact I am still getting messages from suppliers from the Philippines about prices being reduced , but I will give them all a miss .

Edited by stevewool
Added more
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, one sheet of 'ordinary' corrugated iron roofing  costs 350-500 pesos... depending upon length. (About 30 inches wide). 

Labour is p350 to p500 per day, so you can start working it out for yourself. 

Add in the cost of steel beams, IF the wooden ones are rotten, which they probably aren't.  

Edited by graham59

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I am having some repairs over the carport right now.

6 sheets 8 foot @ 249, 3 sheets 12 foot @ 373, 3 liter red primer @ 170, 1 kilo nails @ 65.  Two days labor for two workers @ 500 per day.

Total 5,188 peso.   Will be a little higher with final coats of roof paint (2 coats).  So maybe 7000 peso all in.  We live next to the ocean and these sheets that needed replacing due to corrosion.

• Like 3

fototek1
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I am having some repairs over the carport right now.

6 sheets 8 foot @ 249, 3 sheets 12 foot @ 373, 3 liter red primer @ 170, 1 kilo nails @ 65.  Two days labor for two workers @ 500 per day.

Total 5,188 peso.   Will be a little higher with final coats of roof paint (2 coats).  So maybe 7000 peso all in.  We live next to the ocean and these sheets that needed replacing due to corrosion.

Have you considered using the Plastic corrugated roofing? We used that instead of the metal to avoid corrosion.  The roof has been on 3 years now. So far the only issue is the squatters on the higher land behind us. They have thrown some really big rocks (5 pounds or more) and made a few holes. We bought extra materials and paid someone 500 peso each time to go make the repair :

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

3 quotes seems reasonable to me but I will add that you have to ask how many roofs they have done before and could you see some of their work and talk to the ex customer. The reason I say this is that a lot of people here are chancers and will say they can do a job when they have no real experience. Either that or go to a company who do the complete package and keep some of the money until 1 month after installation. Good luck mate.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fototek1 said:

Have you considered using the Plastic corrugated roofing? We used that instead of the metal to avoid corrosion.  The roof has been on 3 years now. So far the only issue is the squatters on the higher land behind us. They have thrown some really big rocks (5 pounds or more) and made a few holes. We bought extra materials and paid someone 500 peso each time to go make the repair :

We are seriously considering that when we have the entire house redune.  Fortunately no squatters close enough to throw big rocks. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fototek1 said:

So far the only issue is the squatters on the higher land behind us. They have thrown some really big rocks (5 pounds or more) and made a few holes.

What's the deal with the squatters?  Are they annoyed at you?  Or your family?

We've got squatters (at least I think they are, they might have 'rights'?) behind the tall concrete wall at the back of the lot (outside of the subdivision).  There is a small but strong metal gate in our back wall which is normally pad locked from our side and SWMBO papa sometimes hires them to do small laboring jobs around the house and has taken left over food through sometimes after a party.  We haven't really had any problems with them so far... touch wood. 

The relationship between you and your squatters sounds... err... rockier :mocking:

Edited by GeoffH
  • Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not much behind us.... or to the one 'open' side....(no neighbour)  the natural boundary to any squatters, being a small creek, and a lot of trees.  :smile: 

Next door to us is a beautiful house...home of my wife's former high school teacher, and a good friend to us...so hopefully no incoming rocks from there. :laugh:

pianIMG_20200911_115120.jpg

piIMG_20200911_114700.jpg

Edited by graham59
  • Like 5

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, graham59 said:

Not much behind us.... or to the one 'open' side....(no neighbour)  the natural boundary to any squatters, being a small creek, and a lot of trees.  :smile: 

Next door to us is a beautiful house...home of my wife's former high school teacher, and a good friend to us...so hopefully no incoming rocks from there. :laugh:

pianIMG_20200911_115120.jpg

piIMG_20200911_114700.jpg

Looks nice and peaceful.

• Like 5