Question on cost of roofing

graham59
Posted
Posted

Actually yes, it really is beautifully tranquil, 95% of the time.  No dogs or roosters near to us either... miracle of miracles.  :huh:

• Like 3

Shady
Posted
Posted

A lot of good info here,  anyone know about turning part of a roof into a roof-deck, feasibility, requirements, costs?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Shady said:

A lot of good info here,  anyone know about turning part of a roof into a roof-deck, feasibility, requirements, costs?

You will need a lot of money.

Maybe look at the thread about our new home build to see what was entailed and how it is constructed as new:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/30905-building-a-home-in-davao/page/64/?tab=comments#comment-289973

You will need to have a concrete roof/floor constructed and tied into your existing walls. It would be very messy with chipping out old cement to find embedded steel in the walls. I am not actually sure if it would be possible or recommended. Sorry I cannot provide more details or hope for a successful modification...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

I think this site http://www.isteel.ph/iroof was posted on here a few years back.  I have no clue if there information is any good or not. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

I think this site http://www.isteel.ph/iroof was posted on here a few years back.  I have no clue if there information is any good or not. 

That's a very good point. I did not consider installing a steel girder supported roof deck. That might be a great alternative to the "standard" heavy concrete version like our built-in type. Great idea!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

Two of my neighbours have extended an existing terrace above their master bedrooms.  Basically, they did as Tom described - digging into existing structure to find the rebar and then welding new structure into that.  Messy, but not particularly difficult.  Costs are very hard to say because there are so, so many variables but according to one of them, the total cost was 500,000 php all-in - including steel roof. tiling etc etc.  Again, there are so many variables, including the tendency to over-exaggerate! 

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Two of my neighbours have extended an existing terrace above their master bedrooms.  Basically, they did as Tom described - digging into existing structure to find the rebar and then welding new structure into that.  Messy, but not particularly difficult.  Costs are very hard to say because there are so, so many variables but according to one of them, the total cost was 500,000 php all-in - including steel roof. tiling etc etc.  Again, there are so many variables, including the tendency to over-exaggerate! 

So there was already a roof deck that ended at the exterior wall, and they extended it out horizontally? Yeah that sounds easier than replacing the roof. 

We have a 2m space between the house and perimeter wall, maybe a roof-high elevated deck in there is a better option...

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Shady said:

So there was already a roof deck that ended at the exterior wall, and they extended it out horizontally? Yeah that sounds easier than replacing the roof. 

We have a 2m space between the house and perimeter wall, maybe a roof-high elevated deck in there is a better option...

Yes, there was an existing terrace and they simply added to it to make an L-shape addition - going around the house corner.  Basically, they didn't really remove much of the existing roof, probably just a couple of feet off the top to help with reducing the height.  The existing terrace didn't extend to the rear wall though - rather it jutted out into the garden to form a carport - there was a good 4 metres between the end of the terrace and the existing rear wall - that now forms part of the new L-shaped terrace.  Not worth 500,000 php IMO but it's not my money so...

How long is the area you're talking about? 

Here is a picture of the model of house in question to help you understand my poor description -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcamellawedgewoodpangasinan.blogspot.com%2Fp%2Fcamella-series_01.html&psig=AOvVaw3Y4K1hSBNZHAUw9mGrW_8x&ust=1600064337511000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNDSjs6-5esCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

How long is the area you're talking about? 

2m x 15m

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Shady said:

2m x 15m

That'll give you a pretty useful and usable space then - if the costs are OK would be a good addition.