Question on cost of roofing

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

That'll give you a pretty useful and usable space then - if the costs are OK would be a good addition.  

Have you ever seen anything built like that between the lot wall, and a single-story house?  Some kind of upper deck/platform with steps that you could still walk under?

I imagine something like this, but it's a single story-house, so it would be level with the roof...

f396c66ee0a8917b7a37b05a8b9561f2.jpg

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

Have you ever seen anything built like that between the lot wall, and a single-story house?  Some kind of upper deck/platform with steps that you could still walk under?

I imagine something like this, but it's a single story-house, so it would be level with the roof...

f396c66ee0a8917b7a37b05a8b9561f2.jpg

I've seen many such deckings on 2-storey houses as per above and on top-floor apartments as well where they basically take a rectangular section out of the roof and build into the roofspace. As you're able to support into the ground you can do a hybrid i.e. part cut into roofspace and part overhanging. Honestly speaking, if you simply tacked it onto the house without cutting in at least partly into the roofspace, I'm not sure it would look good. Your access would be via the overhang. You could use a spiral stair to save space - i really dislike them for many reasons but they serve a purpose. 

Whatever you decide - just make sure they tie in properly to the existing structure - we've all seen additions drift away from the main structure in our time!

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I've seen many such deckings on 2-storey houses as per above and on top-floor apartments as well where they basically take a rectangular section out of the roof and build into the roofspace. As you're able to support into the ground you can do a hybrid i.e. part cut into roofspace and part overhanging. Honestly speaking, if you simply tacked it onto the house without cutting in at least partly into the roofspace, I'm not sure it would look good. Your access would be via the overhang. You could use a spiral stair to save space - i really dislike them for many reasons but they serve a purpose. 

Whatever you decide - just make sure they tie in properly to the existing structure - we've all seen additions drift away from the main structure in our time!

Basically, we just want to see the view over the village wall, at the back of the house, and with a single story house we can't do  that.  One solution would be to build a deck into the existing roof of the house, and the other solution would be building a 1-story deck in between the wall and the house.   Both of these aren't really ideal. The back of the house is two bedrooms, I had another idea of demo the wall of one room and extending it out 2m so it reaches the village wall (if that's even allowed) and then adding stairs and extending that 2m addition up two stories, to have like a semi-enclosed balcony area.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Shady said:

Basically, we just want to see the view over the village wall, at the back of the house, and with a single story house we can't do  that.  One solution would be to build a deck into the existing roof of the house, and the other solution would be building a 1-story deck in between the wall and the house.   Both of these aren't really ideal. The back of the house is two bedrooms, I had another idea of demo the wall of one room and extending it out 2m so it reaches the village wall (if that's even allowed) and then adding stairs and extending that 2m addition up two stories, to have like a semi-enclosed balcony area.

Your last suggestion was basically what I had in mind.