Jump to content
Tommy T.

Cast Iron Frying Pans

Recommended Posts

Okay... I will be the first to admit I am being a bit lazy here... But this is also a bit of self-preservation considering this nasty virus these days...

Anyway, my simple question is: Has anyone every bought a standard size (what is that 12" ,14"?) cast iron frying pan here? I mean one like my mother (and even myself) had forever ago? I gave mine away when I sold the yacht where I had my nice one - stupid me!!!

I would like to get another when we move into the new home so I can more serious about cooking...

Thanks guys - and gals!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too heavy Tom, if my wife is going to smack me one I'd prefer it to be with an aliminium pan!

They have a selection in SM but from memory are pricey - as are most things in SM!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Too heavy Tom, if my wife is going to smack me one I'd prefer it to be with an aliminium pan!

They have a selection in SM but from memory are pricey - as are most things in SM!

 

Could be... but if L were to smack me, it wouldn't matter the weight of the weapon...not if she were determined!

I was looking online in USA regarding those pans and they are expensive there too - up to US$200 some of them!!!! I cannot afford and would never pay that much... So just wondering if anyone out there has actually bought one that worked... If treated properly, even cheaper ones will work if they are seasoned properly...

Hmmm... That didn't sound quite right - especially for this crowd! It sounds like some people I have known?...:89:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Could be... but if L were to smack me, it wouldn't matter the weight of the weapon...not if she were determined!

I was looking online in USA regarding those pans and they are expensive there too - up to US$200 some of them!!!! I cannot afford and would never pay that much... So just wondering if anyone out there has actually bought one that worked... If treated properly, even cheaper ones will work if they are seasoned properly...

Hmmm... That didn't sound quite right - especially for this crowd! It sounds like some people I have known?...:89:

From memory,  in SM they were in the region of 5,000php give or take.  My wife doesn't like them apparently - she says the food tends to stick more than with cheaper non-stick pans.  I know there is an art to using them, with proper seasoning imperative to bed in the pan.  Don't they also have a tendency to rust - could be a problem in a humid place like we are living. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Too heavy Tom, if my wife is going to smack me one I'd prefer it to be with an aliminium pan!

They have a selection in SM but from memory are pricey - as are most things in SM!

 

On the other hand, if you smack an intruder with an aluminum frying pan, you hear a big "dong!", he turns around, and kills you.

Good cast iron has a true ring to it when it contacts the skull, leaving no doubts.

Sorry for the morbidity!  I happened to watch a season 1 Yellowstone episode last night in which teenage Rip, in a flashback scene, kills his abusive father with a cast iron frying pan! :shock_40_anim_gif:

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Related - the Le Crouset pots are incredibly heavy, I'd say making the larger ones impractical for many. I'm not surprised they come with a lifetime guarantee - I suspect people stick them in a cupboard after realising how heavy they are and never use again!

I'm not the cook at home but I do appreciate good quality kitchenware including knives. But darned expensive.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, intrepid said:

Easy to get if you are willing to order online.  Looks like a few good choices also.

 

The $22 version would be perfect...but the shipping would kill me. I don't have anything to send in a balakbayan box. Plus, as already discussed, shipping is a bit iffy anyway right now.

Oh...HK... Even on board the yacht we had no problem with rust on the iron skillet we had. It always had at least a thin layer of grease or oil on it, inside and out. Occasionally I had to clean it up inside and then have to re-season, but I loved it. Only used it at anchor, though...a bit challenging to balance a five pound (?) iron weight at sea with one hand while hanging on for dear life with the other!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

The $22 version would be perfect...but the shipping would kill me. I don't have anything to send in a balakbayan box. Plus, as already discussed, shipping is a bit iffy anyway right now.

Oh...HK... Even on board the yacht we had no problem with rust on the iron skillet we had. It always had at least a thin layer of grease or oil on it, inside and out. Occasionally I had to clean it up inside and then have to re-season, but I loved it. Only used it at anchor, though...a bit challenging to balance a five pound (?) iron weight at sea with one hand while hanging on for dear life with the other!

Our cast iron skillets don't get used much because my wife insists on giving them a good scrub with soap every time she uses one, defeating the whole purpose of seasoning. So the lighter quality non sticks work better for us.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The $22 version would be perfect...but the shipping would kill me.

Mine cost over $100 to ship but it was worth it, they don't sell large cast iron grill pans here (grill pan not frying pan).

9 hours ago, earthdome said:

Our cast iron skillets don't get used much because my wife insists on giving them a good scrub with soap every time she uses one

She can watch this and learn

 

Edited by Shady
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...