Davao City to lift liquor ban on September 21

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

For Tommy :shooter:

The Davao City government is set to lift its liquor ban on September 21 to help business owners and employees in the liquor industry.

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte will issue an executive order next week to lift the city’s liquor ban that was imposed in April. Duterte also clarified she is not lifting the liquor ban to accommodate people’s clamor for alcohol.

The Davao mayor also reiterated that beer pubs are still prohibited from operating since it is included in the negative list of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).

“We did not lift the liquor ban for you. We lifted the liquor ban for the businesses and for the people who are working in the liquor business,” she said. AAC

https://www.untvweb.com/news/davao-city-to-lift-liquor-ban-on-september-21/

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

For Tommy :shooter:

The Davao City government is set to lift its liquor ban on September 21 to help business owners and employees in the liquor industry.

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte will issue an executive order next week to lift the city’s liquor ban that was imposed in April. Duterte also clarified she is not lifting the liquor ban to accommodate people’s clamor for alcohol.

The Davao mayor also reiterated that beer pubs are still prohibited from operating since it is included in the negative list of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).

“We did not lift the liquor ban for you. We lifted the liquor ban for the businesses and for the people who are working in the liquor business,” she said. AAC

https://www.untvweb.com/news/davao-city-to-lift-liquor-ban-on-september-21/

Thanks JGF, you made my day!!!

Of course it is not for us who clamor for alcohol?

If we did not clamor and buy, then there would be no demand and no commerce... Am I missing something here?

I am very pleased if this will truly take effect. But I won't believe it until I see it. And just to note...there does not seem to be any logic to the decision - at least that I can see from reading the reasoning. But I won't argue this!!!

:cheersty:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I am very pleased if this will truly take effect. But I won't believe it until I see it

I was skeptical in Cebu city when they lifted it then not long after reverted back to a higher lockdown which I thought would bring back a liquor ban but it didn't and still hasn't. I still keep a bit of stock just in case. Trust me the day it was lifted I had the big shopping trolly and loaded it up.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I was skeptical in Cebu city when they lifted it then not long after reverted back to a higher lockdown which I thought would bring back a liquor ban but it didn't and still hasn't. I still keep a bit of stock just in case. Trust me the day it was lifted I had the big shopping trolly and loaded it up.

If this, indeed, happens here, I will do the exact same thing and load up my car with Tanduay, wine and San Mig Light!!!

I would wager that the liquor stores might be sold out within hours of the lifting of the ban - should it really happen.. I am still a "Doubting Thomas..." how about you?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

We reg shop at S&R no Alcohol ban here nobody seems to be buying in bulk lots of buy 1 get 1 offers ( 2 botts of scotch whisky for 399 pesos ! ) couldnt resist !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I guess this is as good a place as any to drop this post?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/philippine-governor-urges-public-to-report-noisy-karaoke-singers-to-fight-coronavirus/ar-BB197RnT?li=BBnb7Kz

Hey... I know a number of you don't want to read posts from CNN... but this one, today, was, at least interesting to me and possibly salient to all of us here? If nothing else, it seems to be an interesting report:

A provincial governor in the Philippines has set his sights on a set of people who he says are hurting the fight against the pandemic: karaoke singers.

In a Facebook post in the early hours of Tuesday morning, local time, the governor of Cavite province, Jonvic Remulla, urged the public to report noisy karaoke singers to authorities to help fight against coronavirus.

In the post, which began by quoting lyrics from "My Way" by the late American crooner Frank Sinatra and The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star," Remulla told his constituents that getting a good night's sleep was one of the best ways to strengthen the immune system.

"Curfew isn't just made to reduce nonsense night strolls. It is also meant to strengthen the body through a good and sound sleep," he said.

But one of the most frequent complaints from constituents had been the "tireless abuse" from people singing karaoke, he said.

"This is the favorite hobby of those who have nothing to do from last night until dawn," Remulla said.

"If you're drunk, over the amount of drinking and most of all your excursion is against the time, you can be charged and taken to the precinct on the spot," he wrote. "If you don't want to sleep early, please let yourself sleep! Learn to respect the neighbors who have to wake up at 4 a.m. (like me)."

National pastime

Karaoke is a favored national pastime in the Philippines. Karaoke bars are dotted across the archipelago and it's common for people to have their own karaoke system at home, making the activity a staple fixture of social events.

In recent years, several people have been murdered in the country after singing karaoke classic "My Way," in crimes dubbed the "My Way Killings" by local media, according to a 2010 New York Times report.

The Philippines has reported more coronavirus cases than any other Southeast Asian country, with more than 272,000 confirmed infections, including at least 4,700 deaths, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Cavite, a northern province on the main Philippine island of Luzon, is home to 3.6 million people. The province has reported at least 8,860 Covid-19 cases and 197 deaths, according to Remulla's post.

Last month, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced that lockdown restrictions would be relaxed in Metro Manila, Cavite and the provinces of Bulacan, Laguna and Rizal, according to CNN affiliate CNN Philippines.

Under the new rules, more businesses will be allowed to reopen, restaurants will be able to offer dine-in services and religious gatherings will be permitted at 30% capacity in the five areas, as long as health protocols are strictly followed, according to the report.

Despite that, the Philippines has reported thousands of new cases each day for much of September, government data shows.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

"If you're drunk, over the amount of drinking and most of all your excursion is against the time, you can be charged and taken to the precinct on the spot," he wrote. "If you don't want to sleep early, please let yourself sleep! Learn to respect the neighbors who have to wake up at 4 a.m. (like me)."

Heard something like this on the Filipino news last night. A ban on videoke between certain hours, Monday to Friday. It's to allow children to study.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Heard something like this on the Filipino news last night. A ban on videoke between certain hours, Monday to Friday. It's to allow children to study.

Should be banned between the hours of 00:00 and 00:00 every day ending in ...day! 

• Love it 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A rulers petty arrogance. Filipino people deserve better.

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte;   “We did not lift the liquor ban for you. We lifted the liquor ban for the businesses and for the people who are working in the liquor business,” 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Should be banned between the hours of 00:00 and 00:00 every day ending in ...day! 

We live in hope.

• Haha 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic