Electric Warm Showers v Standard Cold Showers

Darren_UK
Posted
Posted

Hello Guys,

Just wanting some advice on if we should put Electric Warm showers in our new cottages when built or just standard cold showers.

We recently moved into our house In March and are now building 3 new cottages just in front, so it will be the same water supply from the Municipal. When we moved in our house the water pressure and supply was almost non existence so we build a water tower with 4 barrels (2 up & 2 down) with a Sperolli Water pump (QB 60 - 220v) which helped the pressure in the house but It’s still not really strong.

We are worried if we add three electric showers that the water pressure will be very low in the cottages and will effect the pressure in the house. We are still not sure how we can increase the water pressure if we added these? 

We will be renting these 3 cottages out so wondering if guests would want hot water / electric shower or just put standard showers in.

What would you recommend that we do and how can we increase the water supply pressure in our 3 new cottages if we add 3 electric showers or standard? What is the estimated cost for water heaters etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Darren 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Darren_UK said:

Hello Guys,

Just wanting some advice on if we should put Electric Warm showers in our new cottages when built or just standard cold showers.

We recently moved into our house In March and are now building 3 new cottages just in front, so it will be the same water supply from the Municipal. When we moved in our house the water pressure and supply was almost non existence so we build a water tower with 4 barrels (2 up & 2 down) with a Sperolli Water pump (QB 60 - 220v) which helped the pressure in the house but It’s still not really strong.

We are worried if we add three electric showers that the water pressure will be very low in the cottages and will effect the pressure in the house. We are still not sure how we can increase the water pressure if we added these? 

We will be renting these 3 cottages out so wondering if guests would want hot water / electric shower or just put standard showers in.

What would you recommend that we do and how can we increase the water supply pressure in our 3 new cottages if we add 3 electric showers or standard? What is the estimated cost for water heaters etc?

Thanks in advance.

Darren 

Much will depend on who the target audience is for the cottages - i'd imagine foreign guests will want/expect a hot shower.  Also, if people are there for 1 night compared to a few nights will make a difference.  All things being equal, I'd go for water heaters.  

A water heater for a shower will cost anything between 5k and 10k php for the units - installation will depend on the local situation.  Just make sure you buy ones suitable for low-pressure installations.  

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)

You need to install a water pressure booster pump. Also you may need a compressor.

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 1

Darren_UK
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your reply.
We are on Bantayan Island, Cebu so we have a mixture of locals who come here for the weekend / holidays and foreign travellers who pop over to the island for a few days too.

Thats what I was thinking, do they expect a decent warm shower when they stay. Some hotels / guest houses have them and some don’t. 
I’ve seen some Panasonic Electric showers In Uni Home for 8k that look ok, but we would have to buy them ourselves then add the cost of heaters etc and then we are not sure on how good the water pressure is going to be. Whereas if we got a standard shower the builders would pay / fit as part of the price. (The water is warm if it’s been a sunny day so not really cold).

We are still undecided and worried about the water pressure if we got electric showers. 

Darren_UK
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, jimeve said:

You need to install a water pressure booster pump. Also you may need a compressor.

Hi jimeve, do you know how much these cost and are they easy to install? How does it work? 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Darren_UK said:

Hi jimeve, do you know how much these cost and are they easy to install? How does it work? 

They'er not cheap specially the compresses. Had mine installed by a qualified technician, that was 5 years ago.  

I got mine from City hardware Dumaguete. Their Technician installed everything. 

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Darren_UK said:

Some hotels / guest houses have them and some don’t. 

It has been my experience that paying 800 a night or more will guarantee me a hot shower.  If I find a place for less there is a good chance it will not have one.  I would be extremely dissappointed with a guest house/pension house that did not have a hot shower if they charged 800 a night or more.  Many years ago I used to ask "Do you have hot shower and aircon?" but not now.  Now it is expected at that price point.

Your mileage will vary.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Darren_UK said:

Thanks for your reply.
We are on Bantayan Island, Cebu so we have a mixture of locals who come here for the weekend / holidays and foreign travellers who pop over to the island for a few days too.

Thats what I was thinking, do they expect a decent warm shower when they stay. Some hotels / guest houses have them and some don’t. 
I’ve seen some Panasonic Electric showers In Uni Home for 8k that look ok, but we would have to buy them ourselves then add the cost of heaters etc and then we are not sure on how good the water pressure is going to be. Whereas if we got a standard shower the builders would pay / fit as part of the price. (The water is warm if it’s been a sunny day so not really cold).

We are still undecided and worried about the water pressure if we got electric showers. 

If you are actively marketing your guest houses, then noting that hot showers are included will be a definite plus for, at least, foreigner guests... just a thought for you from my perspective if I were thinking about going there...:smile:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Darren_UK said:

Hello Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Darren 

Firstly ( if feasible) I would put a separate supply to the rentals. If you go for pressurized just remember that the plumbing pipework has to be able to withstand the pressure. Alternatively you can install separate gravity fed tanks to the rentals which would have to have the water outlet ( I think) 3 meters or 10 feet above the highest outlet. Depending on what make ,model of water heater, shower unit you buy will depend on manufacturers recommendation for installation. Hope this helps.

• Like 3