Are your tropical meal times different ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most meal times are dictated by work schedules. If you are retired and free or clock restrictions, have your eating periods changed very much?  If so, do you think the tropical climate, your activity level or age factor in to a greater or lesser degree?  Have you found factors here in the PI that also may affect when you eat?  Have you changed your normal dietary patterns due to health or availability of items to much of a degree.

I have found that all of the above applies to my individual circumstances.  Any thoughts or insights?

Edited by manofthecoldland
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Most meal times are dictated by work schedules. If you are retired and free or clock restrictions, have your eating periods changed very much?  If so, do you think the tropical climate, your activity level or age factor in to a greater or lesser degree?  Have you found factors here in the PI that also may affect when you eat?  Have you changed your normal dietary patterns due to health or availability of items to much of a degree.

I have found that all of the above applies to my individual circumstances.  Any thoughts or insights?

I have my breakfast round about 9 am, lunch about 2 pm, dinner about 7 pm. Then 8 pm beer time. So it's not changed much for me since retiring. When I was working the eating times was 1 hour earlier than now.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Have you found factors here in the PI that also may affect when you eat

For me it is not so much the tropics, it is retirement

coffee in the morning, eat Lunch at noon, Dinner 8ish 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I am retired, and  have kept to pretty much the same routine as I had when back in the UK.

I also cook for myself.

I am already 'slim' at all times, but here in the tropics, I lose a lot of weight. No idea why, but I don't like looking like a POW. :(

• Haha 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jimeve said:

When I was working the eating times was 1 hour earlier than now.

Well that's because you used to set the clocks back an hour :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, graham59 said:

I am retired, and  have kept to pretty much the same routine as I had when back in the UK.

I also cook for myself.

I am already 'slim' at all times, but here in the tropics, I lose a lot of weight. No idea why, but I don't like looking like a POW. :(

Maybe it's because you are a bad cook.   Sorry - just could not help myself. :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

With me its breakfast whenever i wake up , breakfast could be instant noodles or cheese on toast or cereals, lunch around 11am, dinner around 5-6pm i eat,fish ( Blue Marlin or Flounder )  US Burgers or Hotdogs, drink wise we brew our own coffee and we also drink 3 in 1. I drink on average 2 litres of water a day, 3-4 cups of coffee,1 can pepsi and 1 bottle of beer with the odd whiskey. I also eat on aveage 2 cakes a day ( doughnuts or cheesecake, or others ) weight wisw whatever i eat i stay the same weight ! Average 145 llbs. Wife cooks me Beef and Broccoli, Shepards pies, Beef and Potatos, and she makes things like Cinnamon rolls,Cordon Bleu. We often eat out as well 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Perhaps it's a left over from the Spanish culture where I usually take an afternoon siesta after a heavy lunch.  It's hot anyway in the afternoon and then a late supper around 8PM.  Throughout the day however, my wife has multiple meriendas, mostly desserts.  And of course, palutans (finger food) sometimes compliment my afternoon pig out and then a senior citizen nap.  

Just right after sunrise, I like to take a short walk (Batangas City) to my favorite cafe with their famous tapsilog breakfast and reading PDI newspaper.  Life was good back then until the in laws self invite themselves.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Never been a big eater but for some reason I'll never be skinny, must be my genetics.  I'm not hungry in the morning just grabbing a coffee then off for a run along the beach about 9km.  Sometimes not eating until late afternoon. If I do have a proper meal it's usually late evening. Even in the UK I'd remember about 9pm that I've not eaten yet. 

My partner can't get her head around me as I'm always active, up about 5am and only sleeping 4 to 5hrs per day and she eats more than me.  I'm 96kg she's about 45kg.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1