Falling for Internet date cost American P100,000

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Here is a new scam to tell others to be aware of and to make sure not to fall for. I guess some people can be easy prey every time someone thinks up a new scam but I have to wonder if this guy even bothered to read forums and if the Philippine government will really go after the girl or guy or? I have to wonder if maybe Manuel is really the first name and not the last? :yes: CEBU, An American national based in Florida, USA asked the Cebu City Police Office to look into his case after he allegedly fell victim of scamming perpetrated by a Filipina who reportedly received cash from him worth to be around P100,000. :wt-hell: Allan Toor, of undetermined age, expressed through a 10-page letter he sent to CCPO director Patrocinio Comendador to look into the matter so that the woman, who used the face of singer-actress-host Karylle Tatlonghari, will no longer be able to allegedly victimize other foreigners.Toor said that the woman he met on a dating web site identified herself as Arkishra Toribio Manuel, 29 years old, a native of Zamboanga City, with an apartment address in Liomo Highway, Consolacion town. Her last contact was in Makati City, Toor said.He added that Manuel, for the nth time, did not push through with her promise to meet him in Florida. He said he has sent her money many times amounting to almost P100,000 for her documents like visa, for her dormitory rentals, and others.Since last September, or from the time they exchanged information, Manuel allegedly kept on telling him that she would fly for the USA to work as a nurse there, but who also gave him reasons why she was not able to push through, in which Toor believed also.The foreigner said that he was at the Florida airport on October 16 waiting for the supposed arrival of the woman. When she failed to show up, he decided to check at the ticket booth and found out that Manuel had no ticket number contrary to what she had told him.In deep frustration, Toor was allegedly hospitalized for three days and later on got convinced that he was being scammed so that he raised the matter to Comendador as well as the police in Manila.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Not a new scam, one of the oldest, but the Internet has made it a cottage industry. Sending money to someone you meet on an internet dating service is incredibly foolish. I agree with the comment made in the article - a stupid foreigner and an over $2000 lesson learned.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Not a new scam, one of the oldest, but the Internet has made it a cottage industry. Sending money to someone you meet on an internet dating service is incredibly foolish. I agree with the comment made in the article - a stupid foreigner and an over $2000 lesson learned.
New scams pop up all the time and the old ones just keep going on because there seems to be enough gullible men out there that are so desperate for love that they believe the lines of BS and are too busy trying to impress the girls that they do not have the time to join a forum like this one that would have prevented them from getting ripped off.I post stories like these to prevent readers from getting duped. I am not sure if anyone noticed that the initials the person used was ATM and that was exactly what he hoped some foolish person would be, his or her private ATM. I still believe it was probably a guy and not a girl because if a girl had caught such a big fish then they would have continued to play him if they could. The Internet is a great way to meet people but no one should ever send money to people they have not met in person with the exception of the costs of communicating if the woman appears to be poor by what is in the content of what she says and not if she just says so. Of course that is just my opinion and I have known people who did send money and things worked out OK too. Everyone should just remember that what they do at the beginning of their relationship will last throughout their relationship, so if they send big gifts or big money then there is the probability that it will then be expected to continue by the family because they will be seen to be very rich. I knew a guy just like that and who did not listen to me and gave big gifts to the family, a jeepney, a TV, VCD/DVD player, a ref and other things and then when his fianc

News Reader
Posted
Posted

American Allan Toor thought he was lucky to have met and become engaged to a Filipina through an Internet dating website.View the full article

Guest OceanBreeze
Posted
Posted

It`s good to post such articles to remind those who are new to Phil way of life/biz/crime about the risks and to be warned. Usually I dont past links to other forums .. but this 2 forums are only dedicated to www scammers and beggars. Filipinas have their own category here and another forum regarding worldwide female scammers is here. The web is full of this and there are every day many guys walking into the traps of those girls. A big market place for them is dateinasia.com and other known dating sites .. =7nziFR2wOJc

• 2 weeks later...
abaca1
Posted
Posted

May not be the Guinness book of records, but I think I can almost top that one. Right here in my home town at the grocery store with my Filipina wife, a man walked up to us and told us he had a Filipina pen pal with 3 kids via internet that he had met her in the Philippines. He told us he really loved her. Also he needed to raise more money before he could get her. He then told us that he had sent her about $6000 over a handful of months as she had numerous problems. He wanted to know if he was sending enough money to her. No,

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
May not be the Guinness book of records, but I think I can almost top that one. Right here in my home town at the grocery store with my Filipina wife, a man walked up to us and told us he had a Filipina pen pal with 3 kids via internet that he had met her in the Philippines. He told us he really loved her. Also he needed to raise more money before he could get her. He then told us that he had sent her about $6000 over a handful of months as she had numerous problems. He wanted to know if he was sending enough money to her. No,

• 2 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I felt that this story should be given 2nd life,as we do have new members who may not be aware of some of the scams/pitfalls that could occur

• Like 2

P.S.
Posted
Posted

Stupid guys are a lover the world.In my opinion it is not a Philippine thing.you can found it everywhere.but be serious.never meet, never sawn?you would not do it in your home country!!!!!!would you?

• Like 4