Car Batteries - Part Deux

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Last time I bought a Moto Batt for the Kawasaki 150, the guy at the shop tested three out of the box before he found one that was good! The Mazda we own came with a rather smallish battery, so when it finally died, I bought the biggest one that would fit in the rack. So far so good.

I would guess old stock Tommy or copies.

. My 1200cc Tenere had a genuine moto Batt for many years without issues. Also friends with large bikes had same experience as myself.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

I would guess old stock Tommy or copies.

I fitted a bright yellow Moto Batt battery to my KLR650 trail bike (which was used both off and on road).

It lasted barely 6 months before it was unservicable and that was in Australia so it was unlikely to be a copy.

My OEM battery had lasted 3 years before that and the OEM one I fitted after that was still going strong at 2 years when I traded the bike.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I fitted a bright yellow Moto Batt battery to my KLR650 trail bike (which was used both off and on road).

It lasted barely 6 months before it was unservicable and that was in Australia so it was unlikely to be a copy.

My OEM battery had lasted 3 years before that and the OEM one I fitted after that was still going strong at 2 years when I traded the bike.

Amazing as here myself and friends with big bikes have the opposite experience. Any ideas why this could be so.

We used to use Yuasa how ever these were short lived.

By way I also rode a KLR 650 some years, great old single banger.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Any ideas why this could be so.

Honestly have no idea.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, GeoffH said:

Ah... but Geoff... look at how close Oz is to China? You may truly have bought a copy, don't you think? Even in USA, Chinese knock-offs for almost everything proliferate... :shades:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Ah... but Geoff... look at how close Oz is to China? You may truly have bought a copy, don't you think? 

That is a possibility I had not considered (and it would explain my differing experience).

• Sad 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

That is a possibility I had not considered (and it would explain my differing experience).

Yup could well be, although thought it much more probable here to buy a copy. The shop I deal with in Bacolod is one of the few that are very and totally professional, they sell only batteries and oil nothing else.

Remember last time while having our new panasonic battery fitted to car, they bought us out cold mineral water as was a hot day. The price was excellent and we were given an umbrella to send us on the way.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Remember last time while having our new panasonic battery fitted to car, they bought us out cold mineral water as was a hot day. The price was excellent and we were given an umbrella to send us on the way.

It is service like this that makes foreigners want to do business with some people here. L and I try to promote that with whomever we deal with.

Just today, I was talking with a service guy who was going to do do some work on my car. I suggested that he should have every car washed as part of his service (I suggested he could bury a bit of the cost in the service fees). This company does not work on cheap cars, but rather on higher end Fortuners, Explorers...etc... My neighbour across the street happens to own the car wash across the street from the service shop. So I suggested a bit of a marriage between the two - a price break to the service company to wash all cars, and the service company to send all his business there... Maybe it will work out. That is the way we would do business in USA... but here???? We'll see... 

Regardless... the service company has done quality repairs on my 15 year old Mazda... so I have no complaints... It is good to find companies that will do quality work at reasonable prices and that you know the work is done correctly.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So I suggested a bit of a marriage between the two - a price break to the service company to wash all cars, and the service company to send all his business there... Maybe it will work out. That is the way we would do business in USA... but here???? We'll see... 

Not sure if this is a result of my comments to the service guy at Arshi (the repair outfit). But I asked the status of my car yesterday afternoon... He told me the car was being washed! Hahahaha... 

I waited a while and then they drove the car to me when done. I asked them before to deliver the car to me and I would also deliver it to them for service stating that I really did not want to take a taxi or tricycle to their shop due to age and virus concerns. It is only a short distance away, but farther than I would like to walk.

So, finally, I got my car back, clean and nice and I was able to just drive with the guy from the shop to return him there. This is service I am accustomed to in USA. They seem to be accepting my suggestions. I hope they do this for all their customers, because I think they will spoil them all and maybe they will stick with them better? Anyway, I am delighted!

Edit:... Sorry again mods for, as always, changing the direction of the topic. But it did seem salient here...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I do miss the USA a bit where you could buy a car battery with up to an 84 month warranty.  Expensive but definitely worth the money. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1