Car Batteries - Part Deux

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Staying off topic...

I still have and use the Craftsman tool set my parents gave me back in 1968. I think the only better ones are Snap-on, but they are also much more expensive. I wonder if Craftsman tools are still warrantied for life (mine, that is)?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have two tiers of Craftsman tools, and you can get the expensive ones with lifetime warranty.  When I bought a set in 2012, it was only $200 and not warrantied for life.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

Ask Lowe's, Sears sold Craftsman to them.

Now owned by Stanley Black & Decker 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have two tiers of Craftsman tools, and you can get the expensive ones with lifetime warranty.  When I bought a set in 2012, it was only $200 and not warrantied for life.

If so, that sounds like something relatively recent. Whenever I bought their tools, there seemed to be only one grade - but last time was long before '12. I only needed to replace a socket and a couple screwdrivers that I simply wore out over time and heavy use.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

If so, that sounds like something relatively recent. Whenever I bought their tools, there seemed to be only one grade - but last time was long before '12. I only needed to replace a socket and a couple screwdrivers that I simply wore out over time and heavy use.

I think you are right.  I was speculating because I really did not think mine have the lifetime warranty, but I guess they do.  I think I paid about $240 (on sale) for a large set including big case.  Metric and SAE.  

Here is what their website has:

https://www.craftsman.com/support/warranty

According to Google, the brand is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker, and currently made in China.  However.....

Will Craftsman tools be made in USA again?

New Factory Means More Craftsman Hand Tools will be Made in the USA. Stanley Black & Decker has issued an investor press release, saying that they will be opening a new Craftsman factory in Fort Worth, Texas. The new Craftsman tool plant will break ground this summer and is expected to be completed in late 2020.May 15, 2019

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

Now owned by Stanley Black & Decker 

Ahh, my mistake. Lowes has a special deal from Stanley Black & Decker to sell the Craftsman brand.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, RBM said:

Actually Jim years ago my brother sent over a battery from NZ for his motor cycle together with items in a BB box. It was a Yuasa and lasted very well. Not sure is a car battery would though.

I had a Yuasa battery in my Harley for many years, maybe 14. Put on trickle for the winter and good to go in the spring.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jpbago said:

I had a Yuasa battery in my Harley for many years, maybe 14. Put on trickle for the winter and good to go in the spring.

personally with the 1200 Tenere here I found without question moto batt was best, out lasted Yuasa by far.