Manila Bay Beach

intrepid
Posted
Posted

It sure looks nice and hope it can stay that way.  Hopefully the government will continue to support and continue to clean the area.  It's not perfect but much better than it was in the not so far past.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Marvellous.

Let's spend a fortune at  time when our people are starving, on a misguided, ridiculous scheme, whereby we dump a few thousand tons of white 'stuff' from Cebu into what is essentially an open sewer, to attract non-existent tourists.  

How about planting a few thousand hectares of mangroves (as in, what Manila was actually named after), block up a lot of sewage outfall pipes, and do some REAL good ? 

Yup, I have been following this story, especially from a local Olongapo guy, and it seems to be a big joke to me.  Although it was probably started months ago before Covid, they should have at least postponed it.  So many Filipinos are in need and this project cost millions of pesos.  The "beach" is right next to the U.S. Embassy.  How will they protect it from erosion?  It will wash away in the first big storm.

Apparently they way overpaid for this sand too.  The cost ended up at p349 million.

Regarding the Dolomite sand, I hope you can read this:

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1338151/cebu-corals-destroyed-by-crushed-dolomite?fbclid=IwAR3HYPd9LInESdVeP9VO1hGzHxJCmI7br4f4sifKUO5d7jTQE6bcx929L10

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

Marvellous.

Let's spend a fortune at  time when our people are starving, on a misguided, ridiculous scheme, whereby we dump a few thousand tons of white 'stuff' from Cebu into what is essentially an open sewer, to attract non-existent tourists.  

How about planting a few thousand hectares of mangroves (as in, what Manila was actually named after), block up a lot of sewage outfall pipes, and do some REAL good ? 

Nice to see another positive post from you. :smile:

graham59
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nice to see another positive post from you. :smile:

I live in the real world, not fantasy island.

In case you hadn't noticed, everything isn't hunky dory at the moment. 

The majority of my posts are actually humorous or informative, but you clearly have some sort of dislike for me, so I guess I'll just have to man up and cope with that.   :whatever:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't really know anything about this beach thing.

But what I will say is: Perhaps the beach is cleaned up or "renewed?" I suggest you don't go into the water in Manila Bay unless you have been vaccinated for everything imaginable. Then, if you do, go and take antibiotics and anti-parasite medicine to combat all the nasty stuff that lives in that water.

And this is not really a negative comment directed only at Manila Bay, exactly... I learned a few years ago that even the supposedly clean open ocean harbours lots of nasty bacteria too. However, after visiting Manilla Bay before and seeing the water and smelling it? I passed on even getting my feet wet...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

You can't polish a tu#$ as they say. 

I'm in the camp that feels sorry for those struggling, the ones that haven't received their Government assistance or are stranded away from home. That money could have solved at least one million problems. 

Sure it's a nice publicity stunt but it will soon be a rod to beat the Government with. Within 24hrs of it opening I saw more positive propaganda showing a flock of White Egrets feasting on the shoreline, surrounded by basura. 

There's even a comedy neme doing the rounds with hundreds of people on the walkway leading to the beach holding cameras. People insert their own photo below to look as if the paparazzi are taking photos of them. The actual platform is covered in rust. Not a great example to set

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

There's even a comedy neme doing the rounds with hundreds of people on the walkway leading to the beach holding cameras. People insert their own photo below to look as if the paparazzi are taking photos of them. The actual platform is covered in rust. Not a great example to set

Is that what that is?  I have seen it twice on FB and I didn't get it!  Whoosh!  Right over my head!  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't really know anything about this beach thing.

But what I will say is: Perhaps the beach is cleaned up or "renewed?" I suggest you don't go into the water in Manila Bay unless you have been vaccinated for everything imaginable. Then, if you do, go and take antibiotics and anti-parasite medicine to combat all the nasty stuff that lives in that water.

And this is not really a negative comment directed only at Manila Bay, exactly... I learned a few years ago that even the supposedly clean open ocean harbours lots of nasty bacteria too. However, after visiting Manilla Bay before and seeing the water and smelling it? I passed on even getting my feet wet...

I think I read in one of the articles that swimming is not allowed.

I predict the next step.  Installation of the "I Love Manila Bay" giant sign, to facilitate selfies!

• Like 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted

And yet many nurses are still waiting a pay increase that was mandated 15 years ago .

And teachers awaiting pay increase which the Prez stated would happen in 2016 ( in order to win votes ? )

369 milion pesos could have done a lot for the nurses who are putting lives on the line adn even then are having to wait months for their " hazard pay".

Not my country but seems that some priorities are totally skewed.

• Like 4