Manila Bay Beach

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Just saw a photo tonight of the bay.  They have put a ring of sandbags around the beach to contain it and already there's a basura line a good 30ft over the top of the sand bags leading up the beach and the sand is turning grey.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Near the U.S. Embassy, 2012.

You can see the U.S. Embassy in the distance and that is where the beach is.  It will be gone in the next big storm.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So many Filipinos are in need and this project cost millions of pesos.

I guess the mine workers could have stayed home unemployed. The truck drives and machinery operators from the mining in Cebu to transport to port could have stayed home unpaid. The ships that carted the stuff and the Manila workers that carted and spread the sand could have stayed home unpaid. Many other run offs from a project could be unemployed to so did really something that has been planned for a long time have no benefits for the counties people.

How many families did this project feed, I dont know but employment is better than sitting at home hoping for a handout. 

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Looks great already with dry weather lol

FB_IMG_1600869595210.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I guess the mine workers could have stayed home unemployed. The truck drives and machinery operators from the mining in Cebu to transport to port could have stayed home unpaid. The ships that carted the stuff and the Manila workers that carted and spread the sand could have stayed home unpaid. Many other run offs from a project could be unemployed to so did really something that has been planned for a long time have no benefits for the counties people.

How many families did this project feed, I dont know but employment is better than sitting at home hoping for a handout. 

And then they will get to do it again after the next storm?  Those workers at the beach could be employed building something more lasting that will serve the people better.

I'm not against responsible mining.  That mine was probably there before the beach project.  The thing I would be against is the careless transport from shore to ship, and the dolomite killed quite a bit of reef.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

And then they will get to do it again after the next storm?  Those workers at the beach could be employed building something more lasting that will serve the people better.

I'm not against responsible mining.  That mine was probably there before the beach project.  The thing I would be against is the careless transport from shore to ship, and the dolomite killed quite a bit of reef.

To kick start any economy there are projects. Some were planned before covid and from the work over the past year of volunteers every week working on the bay dont you think the people deserve something. As always, if nothing is ever done we complain and if something is done there is another reason to complain. 

China built cities that no one lives in to keep their economies alive years ago so at least this project is something for the people. Maybe there might have to be some rehabilitation after a storm but is that not the same on most beaches?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

To kick start any economy there are projects. Some were planned before covid and from the work over the past year of volunteers every week working on the bay dont you think the people deserve something. As always, if nothing is ever done we complain and if something is done there is another reason to complain. 

China built cities that no one lives in to keep their economies alive years ago so at least this project is something for the people. Maybe there might have to be some rehabilitation after a storm but is that not the same on most beaches?

Everyone will have their own opinion on government projects.

"Don't you think the people deserve something?".   "so at least this project is for the people".

I don't see this as a wise spend of the people's tax money.  This is a short term vanity project, for the reasons stated.  The money would be better used for bay improvement projects that are sustainable.  And if you can't go in the water, it limits the usability of the beach.  IMHO.

Additionally, some say ( I don't know for sure) that the artificially processed Dolomite sand has dust that is bad for humans.  Logically, most mineral dust is probably bad for humans to breath.  Most naturally created sand in the ocean is "washed" and the dust, if any, carried away.

Beach erosion during a storm is natural.  Natural sands moves around a lot and on a natural sand beach, repairs are often done by nature.  After this sand washes into the bay, it will probably not be recoverable and if recoverable, it will probably be too contaminated to use again.

119699028_3545084638881994_9191085404204384985_n.jpg

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, Freebie said:

And teachers awaiting pay increase which the Prez stated would happen in 2016 ( in order to win votes ? )

The teachers are actually receiving a pay increase. It is being phased in over three years. Each month there is an incremental raise - we're talking only a few pesos... but it is really happening. At the end of the three years, it will be an almost reasonable raise all up... But, as usual, I don't remember the amount... It's still not enough, in my opinion, for what they do and are expected to do. Listening to L, most of her work is paperwork, not actual teaching... sad for the kids...

Sorry for veering way off topic again, mods...but I wanted to just clarify Freebie's comment....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4