What qualifies you, to call yourself a Filipino driver

macdonald
Posted
Posted

For me, when they give an inch, I take a mile.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Look straight ahead always. Dont use irrelevant things like rear view or side mirrors. Indicate at will.

Traffic lights... act confused.  Same for roundabouts. Seat belts... hmm what are they for.

Although having said the above, most car drivers are generally as well aware as in most other Asian countries these days.

The problem drivers are jeepneys, owner jeeps, buses whos drivers are on a deadline,  and cars whos indication/lights are not working or not used.

Driving here.. expect the unexpected. Not much different to many other places.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

macdonald
Posted
Posted

Freebie, are you saying those are the things that you do, or that it's what you see others do

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I used to pretend I did not see anyone else.  If others believe you have seen them then they will cut in front of you.  The Philippines is a country where "I did not see you" seems to be a legitimate reason to do anything you want.

• Like 2

macdonald
Posted
Posted

If you don't learn to be aggressive, you'll find yourself waiting for an invitation, that never comes.

Freebie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, macdonald said:

Freebie, are you saying those are the things that you do, or that it's what you see others do

I used to drive around Manila for many years. Learnt many defensive driving habits and quit a few bad ones too :)   And I used to watch like a hawk for the MMDA crocodiles who would hide behind posts and pillars trying to catch people. Used to speak only French to them when I was apprehended for the crime of "swerving"...never got a penalty and never had my licence taken either. Of course having the 22 printed pages of the traffic rules and regulations in my car also helped.  THe traffic cops ?mmda were generally amazed that I had such a thing..they had no idea they were freely available on the internet.

And then I got myself a condo in the very heart of Makati and saw no real need to keep a car. Lifes more peaceful and safer ( for me AND them )  now.

Except at pedestrian crossings where sad to say, Filipino drivers dont give an F.

• Like 3

macdonald
Posted
Posted

Freebie, I wanted to go the taxi route, when we 1st got here. I figured we could take a taxi once a day for 10 yrs, before it would equal the cost of a new car. Decided against it, just because of the virus. We were carrying a bottle of alcohol everywhere, afraid that someone with covid was in the car before us. As for the cops, or RTC here in CDO that booted my car at the hospital, I found that the colorful paper I carry in my pocket, solved the problem nicely. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, macdonald said:

Freebie, I wanted to go the taxi route, when we 1st got here. I figured we could take a taxi once a day for 10 yrs, before it would equal the cost of a new car. Decided against it, just because of the virus. We were carrying a bottle of alcohol everywhere, afraid that someone with covid was in the car before us. As for the cops, or RTC here in CDO that booted my car at the hospital, I found that the colorful paper I carry in my pocket, solved the problem nicely. 

And yes, agreed in these covid times, owning a car might well be both better and safer. But covid times will pass ( we hope !!!!)

I spent half my time out of Philippines, in the good old normal days  so any car I had would have been incurring costs without providing use to me.

And even going on a road trip which is possible now, would necessitate  finding/using  hotels.. and they dont seem to available at moment. :(

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

My daughter made up a 'cheer' for driving in the Phils. Think 'cheer' like cheerleaders at a US sporting event.

Be... aggressive.

Be  be aggressive.

• Like 4