Moving to Philippines

Ash1984
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Without Insurance, it's nigh impossible to legislate for medical bills - the best you can do is have a pot of money accessible and hope it's emough.

As for your 2k budget - it's enough and many ex-pats are here on that or less. That said, if you want to live here at the same standard as back home you will find it's actually as expensive here for many things i.e. mobile phone bill/internet/western food/western restaurants etc. Long and short of it is if you are really looking to downsize/simplify life you can do it here and get by more easily than you could in Norway but if you're looking to transplant your Norwegian lifestyle here you will struggle with the finances.

Im really looking to simplify things, so far the idea is to get a decent 1B apartment / studio. As for food, chicken and rice home cooked is my favorite. Im not much of a drinker and don't party, a couple of beers and im good. Phone and internet is of course something i would like to keep, so i can stay in touch with the life back home

• Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Ash1984 said:

PTSD, so there is some medicine, but it's not a big expense (but for all i know, it might be in PH?) 

I recommend you stay at home or find a more 'western' country to live-in, as the Philippines isn't the place for someone with PTSD. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Ash1984 said:

but it's not a big expense

what are your meds, I will be swinging the drug store on Monday, i will look at the price and availability for you 

Ash1984
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gas said:

I recommend you stay at home or find a more 'western' country to live-in, as the Philippines isn't the place for someone with PTSD. 

Don't get me wrong, i take any input into account, there is how ever many reasons for one to have PTSD

My therapist agrees that a complete change of scenery / simplifying of my life will probably do me good

Ash1984
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

what are your meds, I will be swinging the drug store on Monday, i will look at the price and availability for you 

The one meds im mostly nervous about is Nebido (its an anabolic steroid, so it might not be common in PH at all) I do have prescription on it here in Norway, but here i pay about PHP6500 every 2 months 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Ash1984 said:

Nebido

Yep.  Google says "You will find that Nebido is both difficult to come by and more expensive in the Philippines than it is elsewhere."  That does not surprise me.  However it means the drug is not illegl here so Duterte's thugs won't shoot you.  I suppose you could therefore import it.

• Thanks 1

Ash1984
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  Google says "You will find that Nebido is both difficult to come by and more expensive in the Philippines than it is elsewhere."  That does not surprise me.  However it means the drug is not illegl here so Duterte's thugs won't shoot you.  I suppose you could therefore import it.

Thanks, it will be a deciding factor to get that solved first for sure,since its a lifetime treatment. There is other options i can use, but at least now i know where to focus my research! Its Covid after all, so i have lots of time to figure things out

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ash1984 said:

There is other options i can use,

Explore other options, Google drugs available in PI's as drugs in Weastern countries sometimes aren't  available in the PI's. My doc in Oz worked out my med as a lot arn't available over there. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Kawanor
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/9/2020 at 3:40 AM, Ash1984 said:

Hmm, this is a valid point. As a Norwegian its easy to forget that a stay at a hospital costs money 

You say something there. If you are seriously ill, go home .. Then you go back.

Edited by Old55
Edited from Norwegian to English.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kawanor said:

You say something there. If you are seriously ill, go home .. Then you go back.

I agree Kawanor. For some medical issues it's necessary to return to our home country for procedures or care. Then we can return to Philippines once well again. :thumbsup:

Also if we live with meaning as you suggested in another message that could keep us healthy and happy I think.

Edited by Old55