How to deal with street children here in philippines?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've had a couple of bad run ins with the kids. First one was in Makati when a group approached me all messing about causing a distraction. Luckily I had my wits about me as one had come up behind me with his arms out of the sleeves of his pullover and his hands sticking out from his waist band.  I caught him just as his hand reached into my pocket. My reactions right or wrong kicked in and I launched him through the air and got very aggressive. They ran off like lightning. Maybe not the best tactic but it worked, I never had time to think. 

The second time I was in Malate and had noticed three young girls from about 8 to 14yrs messing around in front of me until they spotted me.  The older one came straight up to me and grabbed my by both cheeks and made a play of squeezing them. I instantly put my hand on my pockets and sure enough the 8yr olds hand was just going in. A quick F off said loudly and they ran away.  

alumana005
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Old55 said:

Although my heart goes out to street children keep in mind the younger ones are sometimes used by criminal syndicates and have minders nearby watching them and you. 

Alumana005, as a Filipino do the street children ever attempt to steal from you?

As far on my experience. I don't have this problem but some foreign living here that I know have this problem

• Like 2

softail
Posted
Posted

I bought a cross body man bag. I put all my stuff in it, when in crowds I keep my hand on and never had a problem. 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, softail said:

I bought a cross body man bag. I put all my stuff in it, when in crowds I keep my hand on and never had a problem. 

Same here, sits over my shoulder and in front of me with a zipper closure.

You are supposed to be able to buy knife resistent ones but I couldn't see any in CDO last year.

I copied the idea from SWMBO's papa who's been using one for as long as I've known him.

Carrying a bag... even a 'man' bag did take a bit of getting used to I admit :whistling:

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

You are supposed to be able to buy knife resistent ones but I couldn't see any in CDO last year.

Line  it with quarter inch ply, and maybe run a piece of builder's wire up through the strap.

Knives rendered useless...unless at your throat.   :huh:

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 10/17/2020 at 2:30 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was BORN carrying a "man bag".  The trick is growing the balls to fill it :whistling: :chickendance:

That's why Scotsmen wear kilts. Balls that big don't fit in pants. :hystery:

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...
baronapart
Posted
Posted
On 10/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, Shady said:

If they go to the cops (which they will never do), the cops will likely give them another smack. 

Years ago it was much worse with the beggars and pickpockets, but the cops started going after the parents and now it's barely an issue. 

Just ignore them, you aren't doing them any favors and in fact can get in trouble for giving them anything.

The only exceptions are the ones who are "working", selling things like those flower bracelets or towels, I always buy whatever they have.

Bought a couple of these "towels of opportunity" walking around Cebu from a woman. Always good to wipe off the sweat. At least she was trying.

• Like 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
On 10/15/2020 at 9:30 AM, graham59 said:

Only likely to experience such stuff in big cities such as Manila.  I wear a 'fishing jacket' So many pockets, they don't know which one to pick (because that is what they are actually up to). 

Avoid dubious areas, red-light districts and the like, if you want to avoid this kind of situation.

Would you wander around such places in your home country ?

Shouldn't be a problem now anyway... as 'kids' under 21 are not allowed out of their home...supposedly.  

Yep, zero chance of this happening in my wife's coastal jungle baranguy in ZDN. 

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted

Stumbled across this thread

Totally hilarious looking forward to the encounters