Are You Age Biased Regarding Covid Measures?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In hindsight, the lockdowns did not accomplish much.  As soon as things opened up againg this "flu" picked up where it left off.

To be fair that applies to the Philippines but not to where lockdowns were strictly enforced (China, Australia and some others).

For example, on the same day in July this year that my state of Victoria in Australia recorded 723 new cases the UK recorded 763.

Today Victoria is still in lockdown (albeit relaxed) and today there was 1 new case, yesterday and the day before that 2 new cases but the UK recorded 18,804 new cases today :(

After the previous lockdown was relaxed there were several months of low case numbers before a spike, after this lockdown is relaxed I would expect several months of low numbers and then a spike (and a third lockdown if no vaccine is available by then).

What I'm saying is where lockdowns are done properly you do get a time period after the lockdown (several months or longer) before the virus picks up where it left off, the key is to get the numbers down very very low before relaxing lockdown (not hundreds, not tens... in the single digits).

Now whether you think the cost to employment and business is worth it is a different matter and I'm not talking about that but lockdowns can work.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

This seems to be the Problem,  Negros island was locked down tighter than a jam jar BUT some Idiot Lawyer decided to go on a Spree to Manila by private plane, then on his return, NO Quarantine, Seems the Word Lockdown, meant nothing to him Now we have again some 10+ new cases all emanating from  his travels around the Dumaguete Area. If they are going to Lockdown for goodness Sake let it be Everyone, Of course there is no answer as to why a private plane was allowed in a Non emergency landing, Normally I would be quite but this was just outrageous  

Yes, unfortunately, here in the Philippines, there is no way to control the very rich and the very poor, for the most part.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

To be fair that applies to the Philippines but not to where lockdowns were strictly enforced (China, Australia and some others).

For example, on the same day in July this year that my state of Victoria in Australia recorded 723 new cases the UK recorded 763.

Today Victoria is still in lockdown (albeit relaxed) and today there was 1 new case, yesterday and the day before that 2 new cases but the UK recorded 18,804 new cases today :(

After the previous lockdown was relaxed there were several months of low case numbers before a spike, after this lockdown is relaxed I would expect several months of low numbers and then a spike (and a third lockdown if no vaccine is available by then).

What I'm saying is where lockdowns are done properly you do get a time period after the lockdown (several months or longer) before the virus picks up where it left off, the key is to get the numbers down very very low before relaxing lockdown (not hundreds, not tens... in the single digits).

Now whether you think the cost to employment and business is worth it is a different matter and I'm not talking about that but lockdowns can work.

I don't know if an example of wave after wave tells me that lockdowns work.  Quite the opposite, if you have a long term goal that is not "vaccinate everyone".

China is certainly on example of extreme lockdown.  The people have no rights.  Amazing that after releasing the virus to the world, they literally have no cases after March.

North Korea has no cases.  Hmmm.....

Screenshot (68).png

hk blues
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

China is certainly on example of extreme lockdown.  The people have no rights.  Amazing that after releasing the virus to the world, they literally have no cases after March.

I have read numerous press reports of outbreaks in China since March

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't know if an example of wave after wave tells me that lockdowns work.  Quite the opposite, if you have a long term goal that is not "vaccinate everyone".

The long term stated goal in Australia is 'vaccinate 90% of the population' (it will not be compulsory but there will be financial incentives to get the shot and financial and social disincentives if you choose not to and don't have a legitimate medical reason).  The medium term goal is to keep virus numbers lower than hospital and ICU capacity limits.

I was reading this morning that ICU units in Wales are now at capacity and once that happens medical staff start triaging patients and some people miss out on ICU beds (that has already happened in the USA).  That isn't going to happen in Australia because the periodic lockdowns are being used to push down numbers.

Hence the government are achieving their stated policy goals, which means the 'lockdowns are working' (now whether you agree that those goals are worth the cost or not is a separate matter as I already wrote).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have read numerous press reports of outbreaks in China since March

I'm sure they were relatively tiny and stomped out quickly.  Or we don't know the real numbers.  Go to Worldmeters and run your mouse along the bottom of the graph.  In April there is one blip on the graph.  There are a few others so small they don't show, but will if you run your mouse over them.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

I'm sure they were relatively tiny and stomped out quickly.  Or we don't know the real numbers.  Go to Worldmeters and run your mouse along the bottom of the graph.  In April there is one blip on the graph.  There are a few others so small they don't show, but will if you run your mouse over them.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Still, it's not literally no cases

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

As I mentioned in my reply to Mike above, I probably could have been more clear and less rambling.  People not following the basics, masks, distancing, etc., is another topic.  My gist was supposed to be more about lockdowns.

Also, I had in the back of my mind a story I saw, which is another take on the issues.  Somewhere in the U.S. there was an old folks home.  20-30 residents decided to go out front and protest.  Their theme was "Let us out, we don't care anymore.  We would rather die out there than die of loneliness in here.".  They were willing to risk it all to see their families, etc.  Their situation is not ours, but it is something to think about.

Yeah, OMW... I understand your point here. I guess lockdowns might be useful to try to stop the stubborn knuckleheads from going out and contaminating everyone they encounter? I see it as just a shame that so many people flaunt the suggestions - I see them as selfish, self-centered and anti-social. Those are the polite and nice things I would say. It sometimes seems to me to be a basic lack of humanity with a number of people, no matter which country they inhabit.

The situation that Jack described above is a perfect example of selfishness and stupidity. As he suggests, the laws apply to some, but not all? And, again... that is not just Philippines, but universal, I believe...

By the way, I forgot to congratulate you on your personal efforts to lose weight and make yourself healthier. Good job!

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The situation that Jack described above is a perfect example of selfishness and stupidity. As he suggests, the laws apply to some, but not all? And, again... that is not just Philippines, but universal, I believe...

Reminds me of something else that came up here in the Freeport.  There was an announcement of public Zoom meeting to discuss imposition of fines on Covid measure rule breakers.  Even here in the Freeport, rules are a joke like in most of the Philippines.  Lots of rules, lots of bureaucracy, but no enforcement and lots of corruption.  We have a residents manual full of rules.  No proactive enforcement.  If we scream loud enough through our neighborhood group, we can get actions.

Actually here in the Freeport I have never seen flagrant violators of the rules, but I suppose there are some. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Now we may get some truth about this issue of My Post;

Quarentine Judicial.jpg Patient 191 has never been names BUT it is known that he is the Governor of Negros Orientals Lawyer

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic