Are You Age Biased Regarding Covid Measures?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

A second national lockdown is imminent here in UK, with Wales being first to announce it today.

Information overload, but I don't understand why they would lockdown again.  This new data is being pushed by the anti-lockdown people.  If you die of Covid, average age of death 82.4  If you die of other causes, average age 81.5.  Those numbers can be twisted and interpolated in many different ways, but overall, I think they enforce the case for not shutting businesses.

https://headtopics.com/uk/average-age-of-covid-death-is-82-4-years-need-to-shield-the-vulnerable-16165653

I'm still a fan of a revised Sweden model.  Do just as they did but do a better job of isolating the vulnerable while reinforcing the simple basics of masks, distance and hand washing.  Don't close businesses.  Don't close schools.  It's not perfect, but I think I would do it.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm still a fan of a revised Sweden model.  Do just as they did but do a better job of isolating the vulnerable while reinforcing the simple basics of masks, distance and hand washing.  Don't close businesses.  Don't close schools.  It's not perfect, but I think I would do it.

You may well be right......

This latest plan in UK is called a circuit breaker, by closing down certain areas for two weeks!!!

What good if any that would do I don't know. (Neither does most people here )

‘It’s been so, so surreal.’ Critics of Sweden’s lax pandemic policies face fierce backlash | Science | AAAS

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

someone mentioned that they think Western countries will not make vaccines mandatory.

There have been some pretty serious flus in the world, like H1N1.  Countries like Canada have included the antivirus for H1N1 in the annual flu shot.  Not only is it voluntary, they only distribute enough free flu vaccine for seniors and others deemed vulnerble.

My belief is they will do the same with any Covid vaccine they come up with.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There have been some pretty serious flus in the world, like H1N1.  Countries like Canada have included the antivirus for H1N1 in the annual flu shot.  Not only is it voluntary, they only distribute enough free flu vaccine for seniors and others deemed vulnerble.

My belief is they will do the same with any Covid vaccine they come up with.

What if other countries restrict travel inbound based on having the vaccine?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

This latest plan in UK is called a circuit breaker, by closing down certain areas for two weeks!!!

What good if any that would do I don't know. (Neither does most people here )

Works here in the Philippines and Australia and maybe many places. Some areas are locked down more than others so it allows for some normality in other areas. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

and possibly press charges

Of Course this means media where the word press is used. Lot of trials , some successful and some not all over the world by the press. 

:popcorn: :tiphat:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Works here in the Philippines and Australia and maybe many places. Some areas are locked down more than others so it allows for some normality in other areas. 

I'm sure it would certainly slow it down JGF, however once again that depends on people adhering to the rules,

which for some, is to much to ask :thumbsup:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

What good if any that would do I don't know. (Neither does most people here

There are points in favour of the Sweden model and points in favour of the strict and early lockdown model (as per Australia and New Zealand).

The UK version however seems to take the worst features from both models and appears (to a non resident) to be politically based rather than science based unlike the Swedish and Aussie/Nz models (the first using herd immunity science and second using containment science).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

herd immunity science

I have "herd" that term before, but don't sheeple come in a flock? (Humor intended) :Count_Sheep:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

For all of us, the same question for vaccines will be "Who you gonna believe?".  :89:

I agree but sometimes you have to take a leap of faith OMW.  I don't mean in a reckless way but based on the expert opinion - experts who have credibility that is.  

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic