Looking for real estate agent with some hustle in Davao City

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know a good real estate agent in Davao City?

We're selling our five-year old house and lot but it seems like the agents we've contacted have no drive at all to make 5% on P13M. My wife says they'd rather make several small, easy commissions than work for one big payoff.

I contacted a few listed as local on a Philippine real estate site but only two got back to us. Neither even wanted to come look at the place and both just wanted permission to list it! How in the world do you sell a house and lot you've never seen? Do the agents here make Brownie Points for having real estate to list? It's so weird.

If anyone knows of a good agent with some spark or has contacts with agents outside of Davao City that might deal in expat-type homes that sell for more than the average pig lot, please let me know. Thanks.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

I know of a decent one in Cagayan De Oro, a cousin of SWMBO (not that that helps you).

I was speaking to her a couple of years ago after we bought the house we have now, she gave us the impression that selling 'foreigner type houses' was difficult due to the small number of potential buyers and the difficulty of dealing with the potential buyers.  She wasn't the actual agent selling the house we bought but honestly, without her help to navigate the process we would have been all at sea.

I would as a starting point try and find an agency that lists mostly more expensive houses as they will have more experience in this type of sale.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I know of a decent one in Cagayan De Oro, a cousin of SWMBO (not that that helps you).

I was speaking to her a couple of years ago after we bought the house we have now, she gave us the impression that selling 'foreigner type houses' was difficult due to the small number of potential buyers and the difficulty of dealing with the potential buyers.  She wasn't the actual agent selling the house we bought but honestly, without her help to navigate the process we would have been all at sea.

I would as a starting point try and find an agency that lists mostly more expensive houses as they will have more experience in this type of sale.

Thanks, Geoff. I tried to limit my local agent search to agents or agencies with a decent number of listings on the sites and to those who had properties of P10M or more.

I may have to branch out to other areas to hit someone who has access to expat clientele. I had considered that the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the nation would have a market for big homes on big lots but maybe it doesn't. Thanks again for your reply.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, JDDavao said:

We're selling our five-year old house and lot but it seems like the agents we've contacted have no drive at all to make 5% on P13M. My wife says they'd rather make several small, easy commissions than work for one big payoff.

I contacted a few listed as local on a Philippine real estate site but only two got back to us. Neither even wanted to come look at the place and both just wanted permission to list it! How in the world do you sell a house and lot you've never seen? Do the agents here make Brownie Points for having real estate to list? It's so weird.

If anyone knows of a good agent with some spark or has contacts with agents outside of Davao City that might deal in expat-type homes that sell for more than the average pig lot, please let me know. Thanks.

Try this one, JD. She did not find us a suitable place, but she seemed to put effort into her search. We did not buy because prices just seemed out of touch with our resources. She showed us local and foreign style homes...

Melanny Angangan Real Estate
Mobile 09126397316

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Try this one, JD. She did not find us a suitable place, but she seemed to put effort into her search. We did not buy because prices just seemed out of touch with our resources. She showed us local and foreign style homes...

Thanks, Tommy!

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello there and happy Halloween. It's more spook in the Philippines with Covid, alphabetical order typhoons and everything closed at 10!

Besides jokes, I lived in Davao for 2.5 years and I can recommend Dinah "Dhines" Laruga of Patrimonio Realty for your sales and rental needs. She is a licensed estate brokers, speaks perfect English and is very well connected both with the local and the foreigner/expat community in Davao.

I bought a condo (Aeon Towers) through her and found a small condo to rent also through her. Yes, for the Aeon condo it's been a huge disappointment because of the ridiculous (100%+) delay on project delivery, but this is something hardly attributable to her.

Here's her contact information.

Realtor Dinah "dhines" Patrimonio-Laruga, REB, REA
Real Estate Broker | Real Estate Appraiser

As far as I know the Davao estate market is pretty depressed at the moment, like in most of the rest of the Philippines. The only market that moves is the domestic market, where you have your average middle class couple or family looking for condos or houses in their price range. 20K or less for a condo rental and maybe 10M or less for a house.

As far as I understand, the risk is to settle for a fire sale that would significantly undercut on the value of the property. My modest suggestion would be to maybe list now with a reputable agent but not expect to have any solid prospects until mid next year. The Covid situation really did a lot of damage to the Philippine economy, especially to the upper end of the property market, since most of the fun-loving and relatively wealthy foreigners, including the Koreans, the Japanese and the Chinese, have gone and aren't even allowed back into the country unless they are married to a Filipino national.

Good luck!

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
links not allowed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1