Retirement Visas on hold.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Probably too many 25yr old retired Chinese. 

FB_IMG_1603496602180.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Probably too many 25yr old retired Chinese. 

FB_IMG_1603496602180.jpg

Wow!!! That is very sad to see.

And no reason given...

Edited by Tommy T.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And no reason given...

There used to be a minimum age limit of 35 years old and some in power said they did not like it that "anyone" could come here then.

. . . .Chy said during the Senate hearing on the DOT’s budget that it has been the PRA’S standing policy that foreigners not younger than 35 years old may avail of the agency’s offered privileges if the retirees have at least $50,000 (about P2.5 million) cash on hand.

Even in China, the state-owned China Daily reported on its website, that the average retirement age was at 57 and the government was studying the possibility of raising the retirement age because China is one of the fastest-aging societies in the world.

During the Senate hearing, Sen. Richard Gordon fumed after learning of the PRA’s retirement age requirement and scolded Chy for being unable to assure senators that the Chinese who have been granted PRA privileges were actually retired and were not working in the country.

“It upsets me that anybody can just come here, that 35-year-olds would be allowed to ‘retire’ here,” Gordon told Chy and other PRA officials.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1351016/pra-told-to-scrap-retirement-age-requirement

My comment.  Zenophobic double standards.  OFWs can go all over the world but foreign early-retirees are not wanted.

• Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My comment.  Zenophobic double standards.  OFWs can go all over the world but foreign early-retirees are not wanted.

There's certainly a lot of uneducated locals that don't understand what foreigner's retirement brings to the Philippines. I read a few replies on some of the media sites and it was full of people saying retirees are a burden to the health and welfare system. They obviously are unaware we don't qualify for any of those things and if anything due to the money we bring in many things have improved like better hospitals, more restaurants, activities and countless jobs for the local community.

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

They obviously are unaware we don't qualify for any of those things and if anything due to the money we bring in many things have improved like better hospitals, more restaurants, activities and countless jobs for the local community.

And that is without the support that many families get from the foreigners which reduces the load upon public facilities.

• Like 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

None of us should expect that our presence would be in any way understood or appreciated.. Just as no one should believe that every Filipino is in awe or any form of appreciation  of what we bring to the economy.. ie real estate taxes, capital gains taxes on properties and  association dues paid, electricity water bills, plus our monthly expenditure, plus car purchases plus gas, plus alcohol , cost of SRRV visa or 9A, 13G visas, plus on PAL or Cebu Pathetic etc and many other plus plus plus.

Simply put its expected we live here and that we spend, and Hey Joe can you spend more . And Hey Joe can you shut up too. And Hey Joe my sister is buntis please pay for that, and cousin needs a new pc so  help ( the please is usually optional )  and  the caribou needs gender reassignment so please help with that..... Oh you expected a thankyou , seriously ????

I enjoy living here , but learnt long ago my place here on the totem pole.

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Freebie said:

None of us should expect that our presence would be in any way understood or appreciated

The locals seem to believe that every retiree who dies or leaves the country is promptly replaced by 3 more who will fall in love with the Philippines.  And the numbers seem to be proving them right, up to the time of Covid.

In addition, the locals seem to believe that the ever increasing numbers of retirees drives up prices.  Supply and demand would make that seem a reasonable belief.

It should be obvious to all concerned that retiring foreigners are bringing money into the country but I wondered who benefits?  I believe that in a large way it is the Filipinos with large houses and cars who are beneficiaries but the trickle down effect has average Filipinos driving cars with payments or 10K a month.

So the bottom line is:  If the money stops coming in then the people will stop improving their standard of living.  How to illustrate this to the average Filipino?  Perhaps they should teach the lesson of Nauru in their schools: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/how-nauru-threw-it-all-away/5312714

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So the bottom line is:  If the money stops coming in then the people will stop improving their standard of living.  How to illustrate this to the average Filipino?  Perhaps they should teach the lesson of Nauru in their schools: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/how-nauru-threw-it-all-away/5312714

The thing is that western retirees are only a small percentage of the Philippines GPD and even if all that money stopped it wouldn't make a huge difference to the country as a whole.  Nauru is a bit of a special case, it's very small country and it was a 'one trick pony' and when that pony went lame they had nothing else to fall back upon. 

The Philippines on the other hand has a diversified economy (albeit an emerging country economy) and the removal of one small component of it won’t seriously effect the overal economy (although it would have serious effects upon certain sectors of it).

I can't say I'm surprised by some of the changes, I was fully expecting that the fall out from Covid would make countries more insular, travel more difficult and expensive and visas harder to obtain.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Freebie said:

None of us should expect that our presence would be in any way understood or appreciated..

Isn't this true of all ex-pats pretty much anywhere, though? How many of us Brits really appreciate what foreigners bring to the UK?

• Like 5