Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I was so very pleased to be able to avail of this system. I hope other like-minded foreigners can also use it. It may not be perfect, but it fills in a lot of gaps for me and made my life here a whole lot easier!

Again, Tom, the problem is not the Chinese or any other nationality, it's a really down to issuing retirement visas to people far. far from retirement age.  

Good you were able to take advantage of the leniency of the system as well, Tom.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You realize those foreigners are refugees who don't assimilate and take money from the host population, and the situation in the Philippines is literally the exact opposite, right?    

There's certainly a lot of uneducated locals that don't understand what foreigner's retirement brings to the Philippines. I read a few replies on some of the media sites and it was full of people sayi

And that is without the support that many families get from the foreigners which reduces the load upon public facilities.

Posted Images

  • Forum Support

I have known more than a handfull of retirees who moved to the Philippines younger than age 50.  Two come immediately to mind.  One of them was considered disabled in his country so was retired on a disability pension at age 30.  The other came from a rich family and was retired as "independently wealthy" (in that he could support himself on inherited money) at age 35.  I myself retired at age 52 with the ability to support myself.  So tell me again why we are discriminating on the basis of age?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Again, Tom, the problem is not the Chinese or any other nationality, it's a really down to issuing retirement visas to people far. far from retirement age.  

Good you were able to take advantage of the leniency of the system as well, Tom.  

Hahaha... the leniency for me was not age related (I was and am well beyond their current or future parameters!). I just followed the system and it worked out well for me.

But, like you say, I was fortunate to avail of the system while it still worked and definitely appreciate the hell out of that. It is going to save me a lot of hassles now and on down the line...expecially when travel is permitted again using this visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have known more than a handfull of retirees who moved to the Philippines younger than age 50.  Two come immediately to mind.  One of them was considered disabled in his country so was retired on a disability pension at age 30.  The other came from a rich family and was retired as "independently wealthy" (in that he could support himself on inherited money) at age 35.  I myself retired at age 52 with the ability to support myself.  So tell me again why we are discriminating on the basis of age?

I know, Dave - I had the same discussion with the UK govt. when they told me I couldn't have my pension until I reach 67!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Hahaha... the leniency for me was not age related (I was and am well beyond their current or future parameters!). I just followed the system and it worked out well for me.

But, like you say, I was fortunate to avail of the system while it still worked and definitely appreciate the hell out of that. It is going to save me a lot of hassles now and on down the line...expecially when travel is permitted again using this visa.

As do many of the young Chinese you referred to Tom. :whistling:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have known more than a handfull of retirees who moved to the Philippines younger than age 50.  Two come immediately to mind.  One of them was considered disabled in his country so was retired on a disability pension at age 30.  The other came from a rich family and was retired as "independently wealthy" (in that he could support himself on inherited money) at age 35.  I myself retired at age 52 with the ability to support myself.  So tell me again why we are discriminating on the basis of age?

Actually, Dave... I retired when I was 40. However, I did not attempt to retire in any country at that time. When I applied for my SRRV, I was well beyond the minimum ages.

But I see your point. Compared to many countries I have visited over the years, the Philippines seems to have one of the most liberal retirement systems around - for foreigners. Fiji and some other countries I like required more investment, land/housing investment and cash. I could have retired there when I was 40+, but it would have cost a lot more than here.

As to your question regarding discrimination based on age? I guess the question comes down to a number of nationalities retiring at age 35-39 in great numbers here? I don't have the answer...just the question. And, apparently, this is upsetting either BI or someone else in government here or else PRA would open up and permit openning of visa permits again? Again.... I don't have the answer...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Support
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

this is upsetting either BI or someone else in government here

Thank goodness they did not get upset enough to enforce arbitrary age discrimination on our wives.  I am sure that upsets people too.  Imagine if we have to marry only retired people who are 55 and up. :shock_40_anim_gif:  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...