Balikbayan Questions

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

How long does one have to stay out of the philippines after the one year expiration of the Balikbayan?

Thanks.

We left the philippines in 2013 and 2014. Me first and she followed with a fiancee visa.

We are now married and she is a USA citizen.

Thinking of moving back.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, TexasRangersFan said:

How long does one have to stay out of the philippines after the one year expiration of the Balikbayan?

Under normal circumstances there would not be a time limit for you.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to come back on a Balikbayan stamp.  But theses are not normal times.  Check with the Philippine Embassy before planning your move but I think this is the latest ruling:

Can balikbayans enter during the pandemic?

Former Filipino citizens and their families holding foreign passports fall under a particular category of “Balikbayan(s).” Among those who are included here are former Filipinos who lost their citizenship by naturalization in a foreign country. 

Before the pandemic hit, balikbayans were allowed to enter the Philippines with their foreign passports and without the need of a Philippine visa. 

Due to the pandemic, however, balikbayans who have not reacquired citizenship and who hold foreign passports only are temporarily not allowed to enter the Philippines under current immigration rules. 

The Philippine Consulate General in San Francisco advised that until these individuals reacquire Filipino citizenship, they are not entitled to a Philippine passport or travel document. 

“In due time, this temporary restriction [of not being allowed to enter] will be lifted when the pandemic conditions change and determined to be safe,” it said. 

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/answers-questions-travel-philippines-coronavirus-pandemic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

We were thinking about sometime next year possibly around June or July.

We figure that the pandemic thing should be over with by then.

I just couldn't remember how long we would have to leave the philippines after we had stayed there for 1 year on the Balikbayan stamp.

If I remember correctly 7 or 8 years ago ya had the choice of requesting an extention or leaving for a few days, with your wife, then you could come back together and get the stamp again. But it was a long time ago.

Thanks

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

How it worked for us before Covid;

1) Your dual citizen wife shows her US and Philippines passport. You get Balikbayan stamp.

2) If your wife's Filipino passport is expired she shows her US passport showing her as Born In Philippines and she provides the official Philippines paper showing she has dual US and Filipino citizenship. That official paper never expires.

We also plan to return once things are safe to do so.

Edited by Old55

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, TexasRangersFan said:

We were thinking about sometime next year possibly around June or July.

We figure that the pandemic thing should be over with by then.

I just couldn't remember how long we would have to leave the philippines after we had stayed there for 1 year on the Balikbayan stamp.

If I remember correctly 7 or 8 years ago ya had the choice of requesting an extention or leaving for a few days, with your wife, then you could come back together and get the stamp again. But it was a long time ago.

Thanks

When you are Balikbayan, every time you leave you need to restart the clock again by arriving with your wife.  You can leave for just one day as long as you return with her.

If you are here 364 days, you need to scram or you get go to BI and get a tourist visa for X days until you are ready to take a trip.  Then when you come back with your wife you can start another year of Balikbayan.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, TexasRangersFan said:

Thanks.

We left the philippines in 2013 and 2014. Me first and she followed with a fiancee visa.

We are now married and she is a USA citizen.

Thinking of moving back.

You want to trade houses?  I'm thinking about moving to Texas!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You can leave for just one day as long as you return with her.

Technically thats not correct if they followed the rules.

Who are eligible under Balikbayan Program?

a. A Balikbayan, who may be either one of the following:

i.   A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year;

ii.  A Filipino overseas worker;

iii. A former Filipino citizen and his family who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

b. Immediate family members (spouse and children) of the Balikbayan, who are nationals of countries falling under EO 408, travelling together with the Balikbayan.

https://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-privilege

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Technically thats not correct if they followed the rules.

Who are eligible under Balikbayan Program?

a. A Balikbayan, who may be either one of the following:

i.   A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year;

ii.  A Filipino overseas worker;

iii. A former Filipino citizen and his family who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

b. Immediate family members (spouse and children) of the Balikbayan, who are nationals of countries falling under EO 408, travelling together with the Balikbayan.

https://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-privilege

Yes, technically correct, but I have never heard of them caring about the one year.  Most of the time the expats are just taking a vacation and coming back with the wife to get the Balikbayan.

One day out might raise so eyebrows, so I probably would not try it.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is not correct if they followed the rules.

Perhaps you need to read the "Internal" rules

The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 4 June 2001 that, “All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayan and former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel”. This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/useful-links/balikbayan-program-for-overseas-filipinos

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Thanks all.

We were only going to stay for a month or so at first.

Going to keep our home here in Texas.

We were wondering about the balikbayan time limits.

Haven't found much on how long to stay away.

We are also looking into a place in guam and maybe going back and forth from there to Philippines.

Still not sure just exactly what we are going to do yet.

Thanks for all the information.

• Like 1