Balikbayan Questions

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If you visit or stay in Guam please share your experiences it would be interesting to learn more about that option.

We plan to live part time around Cebu area the Balikbayan visa is perfect.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2020 at 10:33 PM, OnMyWay said:

Yes, technically correct,

my personal experience. We arrived in dec 2012 got a BB visa. Went home for my dads funeral in Aug 2013. Returned 2 weeks later and entered again in a BB status. No one said a word.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/29/2020 at 12:57 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

14 minutes ago, scott h said:

my personal experience. We arrived in dec 2012 got a BB visa. Went home for my dads funeral in Aug 2013. Returned 2 weeks later and entered again in a BB status. No one said a word.

Yes, as Dave posted, I don't think they follow the 1 year outside the country rule.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, as Dave posted, I don't think they follow the 1 year outside the country rule.

It was Certainly a relaxed part of the Law But I tend to think that may stop :89:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

It was Certainly a relaxed part of the Law But I tend to think that may stop :89:

In a sense, it would be better if it did and instead rules applied as they stand. They we would all know where we stand.  That should apply to all rules here but...

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)

Under normal circumstances, can anyone with a marriage certificate go to a BI to get a BB stamp?

Edited by Shady

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Shady said:

Under normal circumstances, can anyone with a marriage certificate go to a BI to get a BB stamp?

If I'm not mistaken, no.  You have to get the stamp when entering the country with your spouse. The last time I was in our local BI an American guy was trying to do just that as he hadn't been given one when he entered a couple of days before and was told he'd need to go to Manila to try to sort it out.  No idea if he was able to or not.

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

If I'm not mistaken, no.  You have to get the stamp when entering the country with your spouse. The last time I was in our local BI an American guy was trying to do just that as he hadn't been given one when he entered a couple of days before and was told he'd need to go to Manila to try to sort it out.  No idea if he was able to or not.

Highly unlikely he could do this "legit' or without a fix.  If you have been to Intramuros lately, who knows there are a tot of fixers outside and some shady BI characters, LOL.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Shol said:

Highly unlikely he could do this "legit' or without a fix.  If you have been to Intramuros lately, who knows there are a tot of fixers outside and some shady BI characters, LOL.

I too doubt anything could be done.  In all honesty, he was getting a little heated with the BI Officer and I think the comment was more along the lines of "You arrived in Manila and they screwed up (allegedly) so go back there and let them fix it" rather than actually suggesting he could try it.  I have no idea why he didn't check when he arrived that he'd been given the BB stamp.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Shol said:

Highly unlikely he could do this "legit' or without a fix. 

It used to be common practice for high ranking BI officials to "fix" your passport with a BB stamp, for a cash fee.  Even if that were still possible, (unlikely due to anti-corruption crackdowns), it is not smart as you could get nabbed on departure for an illegal stamp.  Bottom line, if anyone offers a BB stamp outside of the arrival lanes of the airport then it is likely illegal.

• Like 1