[2020-10-31] 13A Visa Intramuros Appication BOI Experience (Initial, with potential scam details)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the report.  It has me thinking, if it was me I would get a lawyer to do the whole thing and just pay the price.  Costs a lot more though.  Good to hear you got it to work for you.

• Like 3

Shol
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks.  Just can really feel how it is to kind of end up "floundering" so I want to help people avoid that.

And I don't know or think for sure I am out of the woods just yet.  Need to get it approved and stuff and who knows what shenanigan's is to come haha :)

I am sure that a lot of the fixers there would have been happy to be appointed as my "lawyer" :)

Edited by Shol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Good report and despite all the nonsense being said about no one tolerating " a whiff of corruption", it seems to exist and is tolerated in many dealings and interactions with govt people. Fortunately theres been some progress in the country and now the driving licence renewals are generally "fixer free" even tho 20 years back , LTO ofcies were swarmed by fixers.

Phil Health is relatively fixer free and BIR is also a fixer free environment.

• Like 4

Shol
Posted
Posted

I was really sad and kind of surprised to experience that I did yesterday.  But in retrospect with the government and political situation here currently, perhaps I should not have been so much.

How can there really be no "whiffs of corruption" when there's obviously corruption all the way up the food chain?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Nice report, good detail, which all who know me here, know I appreciate!

I'm very surprised at some of it.  Have things gone downhill due to extra "precautions" made for Covid?  Have these resulted in people taking advantage? I think the lesson here is to avoid Intramuros.

I did the first part of my 13a at Intramuros in 2017 because it could not be done at any offices in my area.  Now it can.  I can't recall any major issues.  The helpdesk was helpful, that is all.  Had to buy two folders, but they were reasonable, at a desk inside.  Now I have seen that people know to bring those folders.  I may have made some copies, at the room near that small resto.  Reasonable.  Never had to go outside the premises.

The people walking around with big stacks of folders are not fixers.  Most are authorized travel agents doing extensions for customers.

I did the second half of my 13a in Balanga when they just started doing them.  It was great.  Small office, maybe 4 people working there.  Highly recommended.

• Like 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shol said:

How can there really be no "whiffs of corruption" when there's obviously corruption all the way up the food chain?

There are many contradictions in the Philippines....too many to list here...but you have uncovered/enjoyed one of the better ones.

More fun in the Philippines diba ?

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Nice report, good detail, which all who know me here, know I appreciate!

I'm very surprised at some of it.  Have things gone downhill due to extra "precautions" made for Covid?  Have these resulted in people taking advantage? I think the lesson here is to avoid Intramuros.

I did the first part of my 13a at Intramuros in 2017 because it could not be done at any offices in my area.  Now it can.  I can't recall any major issues.  The helpdesk was helpful, that is all.  Had to buy two folders, but they were reasonable, at a desk inside.  Now I have seen that people know to bring those folders.  I may have made some copies, at the room near that small resto.  Reasonable.  Never had to go outside the premises.

The people walking around with big stacks of folders are not fixers.  Most are authorized travel agents doing extensions for customers.

I did the second half of my 13a in Balanga when they just started doing them.  It was great.  Small office, maybe 4 people working there.  Highly recommended.

I was surprised as well.   In covid times at least if you live around Manila, not much options. I actually inquired since it was difficult to get an appointment but all of the sites would require you to go through Manila pretty much; at least partially.  We used the lady near the restos for some copies later and it was fine.   But I read on another blog about someone who had to pay 450 PHP to duplicate their passport; so the assumption is that it was with one of notary services nearby since I saw those options when I was there.

I really hope to hear from others and their stories after as well since I don't have all the details or specifics since we really wanted to simply get it done efficiently but it was daunting being there with so many in covid times with those contraptions on our heads :)

I appreciate your kind words and thoughts, and really just hope for the best for anyone else has to go through this, since at least currently for most it would still seem to be the best option since leaving/re-entering for a BB is not possible at the moment....

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shol said:

since at least currently for most it would still seem to be the best option since leaving/re-entering for a BB is not possible at the moment....

Yes, they may be experiencing a rush on 13A!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

yes, they may be experiencing a rush on 13A!

Which, is exactly what they (BI) want. That way, they can keep the Tourist Visas as Tourist and do away with this 3 year Long term issue :smile:

• Like 1