[2020-10-31] 13A Visa Intramuros Appication BOI Experience (Initial, with potential scam details)

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You'd have wasted your time anyway - in my experience all transactions attract this fee (except the Annual Report). 2 transactions carried out together equals 2 x express lane fees (500php each).

It's not optional either.

I see. My only other experience with the "express lane" is when I needed my tourist visa extension. Without "express lane" fee I would need to pick up the passport a day or two after. With "express lane" fee it's almost immediate, I sometimes wait a little while or go out for lunch and the visa is ready by the time I am back.

So I assume P2,500 was for 5 transactions (didn't count them :smile:).

Well, another optional fee that's actually non-optional. Should have guessed :unsure::smile:

Thanks a lot for the info, @hk blues!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gandang Smile said:

I see. My only other experience with the "express lane" is when I needed my tourist visa extension. Without "express lane" fee I would need to pick up the passport a day or two after. With "express lane" fee it's almost immediate, I sometimes wait a little while or go out for lunch and the visa is ready by the time I am back.

So I assume P2,500 was for 5 transactions (didn't count them :smile:).

Well, another optional fee that's actually non-optional. Should have guessed :unsure::smile:

Thanks a lot for the info, @hk blues!

As I say, in my experience it is not optional and I am never asked if I wish to avail of it.  I did say in my naivety years ago that I was in no hurry and thus didn't need the express service. I still had to pay!

There was a short period where the fee was not charged but this didn't last long.  I believe, but may be wrong, that it is distributed to staff in lieu of overtime payments. 

Yes, the 2500php will be 5x transactions.

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted (edited)

So the plot thickens.  I called into BI and they told me that since I was approved before my Balikbayan expires I am good to wait for this March 5th appointment. (Earliest appointment once I found out I was approved)  (1 month after my balikbayan expires)   it's confirmed on the website and she mentioned it on the phone however refused or said they didn't have any confirmation to send via email.

Am I wrong to be a bit skeptical scared that once I arrive on my appointment in March after almost a month that I might end up with a completely different scenario / explanation?   Honestly, I figure I just need to get into the building and I would be good since there seems to be no organization there.    Really hard to go based on what someone said over the phone when I could be assessed major penalties and told to come back or event that I am disqualified since I overstayed or am illegal or whatever.

Any thoughts would be helpful.  I might be too overthinking/panicking here.

Edited by Shol

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Shol said:

So the plot thickens.  I called into BI and they told me that since I was approved before my Balikbayan expires I am good to wait for this March 5th appointment. (Earliest appointment once I found out I was approved)  (1 month after my balikbayan expires)   it's confirmed on the website and she mentioned it on the phone however refused or said they didn't have any confirmation to send via email.

Am I wrong to be a bit skeptical scared that once I arrive on my appointment in March after almost a month that I might end up with a completely different scenario / explanation?   Honestly, I figure I just need to get into the building and I would be good since there seems to be no organization there.    Really hard to go based on what someone said over the phone when I could be assessed major penalties and told to come back or event that I am disqualified since I overstayed or am illegal or whatever.

Any thoughts would be helpful.  I might be too overthinking/panicking here.

I'm probably like you, I prefer everything to be boxed away.  The absence of written confirmation would also worry me but I'm not surprised so I wouldn't be worried at that aspect.  What you have been told makes sense so again no real reason to doubt it.  

That said, I would try to get in before the current Balikbayan expires if you can - IF.  If not, then what can you do other than wait so that's your options. 

You could always send them an email (they have always responded in my local BI to emails) - you can search the email address online.  I'd keep the message simple and word it so they simply have to reply with a one word reply if possible  - that strategy is more likely to get a reply than if they have to compile a wordy response.  

You could try another approach.  You could make an appointment for the Annual Report for sometime before your Balikbayan expires and play the dumb schoolboy.  That way, you will be able to ask the BI officer face-to-face about your concerns and get the reassurance you need.  It won't help you get the 13A visa earlier but will give you peace of mind (hopefully).  You might even be able to actually do the Annual Report at the same time but with no ACR maybe not.  

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks email's a good option and I like how you think :)

Crazy as they have a gmail email account for their help support emai LMAO...

Edited by Shol
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Shol said:

Thanks email's a good option and I like how you think :)

Crazy as they have a gmail email account for their help support emai LMAO...

Here in Iloilo it's the same - a gmail account.  They have always been good at replying but as I say I make it easy for them.

Good Luck!  

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

You'd have wasted your time anyway - in my experience all transactions attract this fee (except the Annual Report). 2 transactions carried out together equals 2 x express lane fees (500php each).

It's not optional either.

For once I've struck lucky.  I'm used to the non optional Express Lane fee also but the last 4 extensions I've had at my local immigration they have asked if I want to use it. Now it's just a case of turn up and book a appointment. normaly in ten minutes time, hand everything over and get another appointment to collect my documents in about 7 days.  No more Express Lane for me. 

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

For once I've struck lucky.  I'm used to the non optional Express Lane fee also but the last 4 extensions I've had at my local immigration they have asked if I want to use it. Now it's just a case of turn up and book a appointment. normaly in ten minutes time, hand everything over and get another appointment to collect my documents in about 7 days.  No more Express Lane for me. 

Yep Snowy, as always each BI office applies its own interpretation of the "rules".  Having a 13A my only dealings with the BI is the Annual Report so fixed fee 310php and once every 5 years the renewal of ACR card - the 500php express fee was automatically added last January.  It's a little amusing the term Express Lane Fee - again, in my experience there is no such thing - one lane only!

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Here in Iloilo it's the same - a gmail account.  They have always been good at replying but as I say I make it easy for them.

Good Luck!  

Kinda struck out so far with email.   Got a note back telling to call the general extension where I had originally gotten the feedback/information from in the first place. (And this was summaried in my note lol

Oh well.  Will ponder it over the next few days as to if I will go about your other suggestion.

Appreciate the tips/ thoughts though

Thanks!

• Sad 1

Signet
Posted
Posted

I'm in a similar situation Shol, going to the Intramuros main BI office to give in my application paperwork for the 13A this week. My current visa actually expires in March, I'm really hoping I won't need to get that extended while waiting to see if my 13A is approved... This thread has been really useful, so thanks for that.

I just had a few questions about when handing in the application:

• I'm printing out all the paperwork on A4 paper, is that the correct size? 
  • I have got some fasteners (great tip). Should I hole punch all the paperwork in advance or do they do it?
  • Apart from the 2nd CGAF form, what else goes in the ACR folder? I haven't been able to find any info on what other docs are needed for that.

Thanks for any and all help!